Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joobs333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
I'm having issues with messages sent to me appearing on my phone and not on my OS. Almost like most of the time I have to engage messages on my desktop by writing a text to the person that I'm talking with so incoming messages will be relayed to my desktop as well as my phone.

I didn't have this issue in regular Sierra. Please advise, thanks.

Joobs333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
Have you tried signing out of iMessage on your Mac and then signing in again? If not, might be worth a shot.

Yes; now I suspect it may be an iphone issue more than OS. Doing the latest update to see if the issue goes away.

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
"Send text messages to anyone from your Mac
If you have an iPhone with an active cellular plan, you can set up Messages to send and receive SMS and MMS messages from your Mac. Such messages don't require the recipient to be using iMessage or an Apple device.

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Add a check to your phone number and email address.
  2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, then choose to allow your Mac to send and receive text messages from this iPhone.
  3. Check your Mac for a verification code, then enter that code on your iPhone.
To get all of your iMessage and SMS/MMS messages on all of your Apple devices, you can set up the SMS and MMS feature of Continuity."

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202549

Reactions: Joobs333

Joobs333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
Yes; now I suspect it may be an iphone issue more than OS. Doing the latest update to see if the issue goes away.

Issue with sync still present after update, might still be an OS issue after all.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007
I'm having the same issue too. If someone has iMessage and writing you a message, it should have nothing to do with your iPhone/iOS device since macOS directly will receive an iMessage message without an iOS device. Therefore, its something with macOS.

groovatious

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2017
Melbourne
Am also having this issue with High Sierra. Strangely it's only occurring on one of my Macs with HS installed. Mac Mini has the problem, MacBook Pro is fine.

The issue occurs with ALL messages, not just regular SMS (non iMessage) texts. I'll send and receive a bunch of messages to different contacts from my phone, but the Messages app on my Mac won't update or reflect any of this until I send a message SPECIFICALLY from my Mac. Then it goes back and syncs most messages. Messages also take a lot longer than usual to send (up to 60 seconds, vs almost instantly w Sierra).

Has only occurred since updating to HS and only on one machine.

Have tried everything from signing out of messages/icloud and back in several times, repairing permissions etc. Can't seem to fix it. Definite bug.

Last edited:

athand

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
EU
I have similar problems with message.app (MBP & HS)
When typing a contact name in "To:" field, message.app is auto filling it with the contact number but with US country code prefix (+1) instead the correct one (+30 in my case)
Sending messages from inside contacts.app and all other apps works fine though.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
I have had this issue as well - and it's iMessage (I don't do a ton of SMS) for me mainly, just delays in messages coming in to my MBP after receiving them on my iPhone on iOS 11... doesn't seem to happen on the iPad also on iOS 11

Joobs333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
Messages seems to be running continually quirky for me; now I have a new behavior where text messages that I get on my Mac OS will remain with the blue dot given to new messages, even after i click on them directly. The only way the blue dot on my OS version of messages disappears is clicking on the message on my iphone.

Edit: seem to have temporarily fixed this behavior signing out and back in and quitting messages completely in the OS followed by reopening.

Reactions: jpn

randomhero73

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
Also having exact same issues. totally random... some messages come through on all my macOS devices and iOS and some only to my iPhone. have not been able to fix it yet. sometimes signing out and in works for a bit then it stops again.

Joobs333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
Also having exact same issues. totally random... some messages come through on all my macOS devices and iOS and some only to my iPhone. have not been able to fix it yet. sometimes signing out and in works for a bit then it stops again.

Yeah this appears to be the exact same behavior I'm having as well, no real fix yet.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
i’m getting imessage fine on iphone ios 11 but HS beta will not allow me to even log in to imessage on my macbook air, i’m in US

TerryinFL

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having issues with messages sent to me appearing on my phone and not on my OS. Almost like most of the time I have to engage messages on my desktop by writing a text to the person that I'm talking with so incoming messages will be relayed to my desktop as well as my phone.

I didn't have this issue in regular Sierra. Please advise, thanks.

I am having the same issues with Messages on my MacBook Air running High Sierra as reported in this thread. Did not have these issues running Sierra or any MacOS previous to Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.