Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbylonghorn31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
Hi, I have been having issues with the messages app for awhile and looking for help/answers.
So my family and I have a group message where we send funny videos/photos of our cat. Every time one of them sends me a video the video is grainy/blurry/hard to see and really small however their phones display it fine without those issues. If it helps, I have a iPhone X and they have a iPhone 7/iPhone 6/iPhone 6s.

It happened again tonight so after looking into it more I discovered that the videos from all their phones are sent to me in the format "3GP/3GPP" and the videos I send them are sent in the "Quicktime movie" format which is a higher size (non compressed).
I am confused as I know 3GP is compressed but they all say they have no issues seeing videos and only I do.

Also, I have iMessage turned on but they don't so if I understand it right iMessage doesn't work unless both parties have it enabled correct? So that wouldn't be causing this right?

I appreciate it, Thx.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi, I have been having issues with the messages app for awhile and looking for help/answers.
So my family and I have a group message where we send funny videos/photos of our cat. Every time one of them sends me a video the video is grainy/blurry/hard to see and really small however their phones display it fine without those issues. If it helps, I have a iPhone X and they have a iPhone 7/iPhone 6/iPhone 6s.

It happened again tonight so after looking into it more I discovered that the videos from all their phones are sent to me in the format "3GP/3GPP" and the videos I send them are sent in the "Quicktime movie" format which is a higher size (non compressed).
I am confused as I know 3GP is compressed but they all say they have no issues seeing videos and only I do.

Also, I have iMessage turned on but they don't so if I understand it right iMessage doesn't work unless both parties have it enabled correct? So that wouldn't be causing this right?

I appreciate it, Thx.
Sounds like you are getting it all through regular MMS messaging via your carrier, rather than through iMessage that would carry better video.

bobbylonghorn31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
Sounds like you are getting it all through regular MMS messaging via your carrier, rather than through iMessage that would carry better video.
What I don't understand is my family isn't using iMessage and they aren't having the problems I have (listed above), do you know what is causing that and how would I go about fixing it?

Also doesn't make since to me that when they all send videos it's 3gp, but I send them videos and it's Quicktime movie format in high quality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.