Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clarkewingh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
One of the iOS 18 features I’m most excited for is Messages via Satellite. My job takes me out of cellular network range almost daily so this seemed like a great way to keep in touch with friends and family during the workday.

However, I live and work in Europe, despite having an iPhone 15 Pro which I purchased in the US, with a US iCloud account, US region, etc etc etc.

Every time I’ve attempted to send messages via satellite, the option simply does not appear. I can pull up Emergency SOS or update Find My without issue, but there’s no mention of Messages via Satellite anywhere.

Going through the Apple website, I did note that they explicitly advertise that “Messages via satellite will be available in iOS 18 along with Apple’s existing satellite features in the U.S. on iPhone 14 and later.”

I thought this would be tied to the iCloud account or device region though, not based on the iPhone’s actual position. Does anyone have any information on this?

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I'm pretty sure that all the satellite features are dependent on Apple's service agreements with satellite provides and not tied to your iCloud account or device region.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.