Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Summary of problem: My daughter won't receive iMessages on all her Family Watch if its sent to her iCloud address.

My daughter has an iPad that receives iMessages via her iCloud/Apple-ID email address. She also is using a cellular Apple Watch configured by my iPhone as a "Family Watch."

If I text/iMessage her iCloud email address, it will only show up on her iPad, but not her Apple Watch - even though I setup her Family Watch using this same iCloud email address. Is this a known bug/problem?

I checked her contact card on my iPhone, it lists her Watch phone number and her iCloud email address. I also verified her contact card on her iPad lists her AW phone number, along w/ her iCloud email address.

The only way she will receive iMessages on her watch is if I manually send it to her AW phone number. Can this be fixed so a text sent to her icloud email address appears on both her iPad and Family Watch?

EDIT: Solved

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Summary of problem: My daughter won't receive iMessages on all her Family Watch if its sent to her iCloud address.

My daughter has an iPad that receives iMessages via her iCloud/Apple-ID email address. She also is using a cellular Apple Watch configured by my iPhone as a "Family Watch."

If I text/iMessage her iCloud email address, it will only show up on her iPad, but not her Apple Watch - even though I setup her Family Watch using this same iCloud email address. Is this a known bug/problem?

I checked her contact card on my iPhone, it lists her Watch phone number and her iCloud email address. I also verified her contact card on her iPad lists her AW phone number, along w/ her iCloud email address.

The only way she will receive iMessages on her watch is if I manually send it to her AW phone number. Can this be fixed so a text sent to her icloud email address appears on both her iPad and Family Watch?
She should be able to receive iMessages sent to her AppleID.
Is Messages in iCloud turned on in settings?

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
She should be able to receive iMessages sent to her AppleID.
Is Messages in iCloud turned on in settings?
Yes I just checked on her iPad. Settings, iCloud, Messages, Sync this iPad enabled.

However when I am looking at her Apple Watch, which is setup as a Family Watch: Settings, Messages, Send & Receive.. only her apple watch phone number shows up as an option, but not her apple-id email address.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Her watch also just has data - the $5 t-mobile smart watch plan. Although it has a phone number (and LTE data service) assigned to it so it still should work. I'm thinking its an Apple setting or issue

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Is this a really rare problem? Anyone know how I can fix this?
I'd give Apple a call and have them walk you though the setup. It should work, but that's just what I've read. No first-hand experience.

You could also try doing a factory reset of the watch and set it up again to see if that helps.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I resolved this issue by unpairing the device from my iphone, resetting it, and re-pairing it. I think the issue was we didn't have Messages in iCloud turned on before pairing the watch the first time. Thanks xraydoc for the tips

cmo21

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
I know this is an old thread and is marked as solved - but I had a similar issue and wanted to share my resolution. Since I wasn’t able to find the answer anywhere, I’m hoping others searching will stumble across this thread.

My kids both have Apple SE watches on Family Setup and I wasn’t able to enable iMessages on their watches to allow them to edit their name and photo sharing and read receipts. After hours of research and playing with settings, the answer was in Family Setup settings on your iPhone, select the child, then “Screen Time” -> “Content & Privacy Restrictions”. Under the heading “Allow Changes”, set “Account Changes” to “Allow”. Now that may open up other things you don’t want them to have access to, so you’ll want to take a look at what else it enables, but it does allow them use the iMessage features. Good luck - I hope my pain helps someone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.