Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Odd.C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
I went into Terminal and did a renice on the programs and users I wanted running faster. Now the system behaves weirdly. Inter app functions are snappy but Logic X keeps crashing and I can barely use two apps at a time before everything freezes. I NEED HELP. Is there any way I can reset what I’ve done? Would another renice to 0 help? I’m running iMac 2019
3.6 GHz i3
8GB 2400MHz DDR4

Odd.C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
What’s a “renice on the programs and users”

Do you have a time machine backup?

in terminal I did this - sudo renice -n -20 -p 920

where p=PID number for Logic

the aim here is to fix logic error message during attempt to Bounce project.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Yea, that’s not going to affect a bounce error in Logic. Best to post the error, your OS build, the specifics on your Mac — everything we’d need to know to diagnose — and fix the problem.

sudo renice... to change priority isn’t necessary on a Mac with enough resources and never really did anything for Logic or Final Cut — no how many armchair experts reposted that it would. It does not fix anything.

A reboot is the first thing to try. Reinstalling Logic is the next thing I’d try.

If you are formatted APFS and have TimeMachine enabled, you can restore your boot drive to an earlier state in a through Snapshots if this was done in the last 24 hours. When I screw up like this, it takes less than a minute on my iMac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.