Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
South America
Right now my backpack with camera, 3 lenses and a MBP is. I want to save weight and space and get a lighter bag that I can carry around everywhere.

I use my computer for work, but the camera is just for fun. I'm not a pro photographer, but I like using proper equipment. The laptop that I am planning to get and use the bag with is a MacBook Air. Maybe one of the new alu 13" MacBooks, but I like the weight of the Air.

The camera is a 350D (aka.rebel xt) and I would at least need to hold a 17-40 f4L that would be mounted on the camera all the time. If it could hold more lenses that would be nice too.

Having tried a 5D I want one of those :D With the 24-105 f4L! With the mk2 there's video and also it seems that the of range of that lens on the camera is good for walking around and being a tourist. Reducing weight and keeping it simple - not needing to change lenses - is what I want.

So if I decide to get a 5D at some point I would want the bag to fit that as well.

It would be nice if I could have it over my shoulder and quickly just take the camera out of the bag to take a picture. And the same for the MacBook (Air): easy to just take it out of the bag.

Lastly it should be easy to use for travelling - going through airports, walking around in the city etc. Perhaps a little pocket for holding passport and tickets would be nice.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I use a Crumpler Sinking Barge backpack. Crumpler does have some messenger bags that can be paired with what they term a "bucket", which is basically a padded insert for a camera and lenses - but I just think a backpack works better for this.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
South America
I use a Crumpler Sinking Barge backpack. Crumpler does have some messenger bags that can be paired with what they term a "bucket", which is basically a padded insert for a camera and lenses - but I just think a backpack works better for this.

That "bucket" sounds like an interesting idea. I guess I could either go for a laptop case with room for an SLR or a camera case with room for a laptop.

A backpack is just too hot when walking around outside when it's 30 degrees (C) warm. I want something small and light. That's why I want to walk around with a 1.4kg MBA instead of a 2.5kg MBP.

Oli80

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
I use a Lowepro Fastpack 350. It easily fits my PB (soon to be new MBP) and my olympus E510 with the 70-300 attached, and two other standard zoom lenses. I also have room for other things like filters, power cables, battery charges, flash, memory cards etc..

It's a good bag, and the 'fast' access compartment works quite well.

The top compartment is also quite useful as well. Leaves room for iPod, sunglasses, headphones and other small items.

I'm very pleased with it although I only really use it for travel (airline). It's not the normal bag I take out with me when taking pictures. It's far too big for that.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Does no one here have a bag where they carry a MacBook (Air) and a SLR camera? What kind of bag do you use?
I use a Computrekker AW. It's not a messenger bag, but easy to carry over one shoulder. Lots of room, very durable, fits under an airline seat so it qualifies as a TSA "personal item".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.