Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZballZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
So, as of Tiger, it is possible to see some of the IPTC-metadata of an image directly in the "get info"-panel (under "more info"). Fx the image dimensions, keywords, device make etc.

BUT; why dont I see fx the caption? Or the author? Is there any way to control which of the data is shown? I would much rather see any notes, captions or titles of an image, instead of color profile or device model...

The thing is, I would like to have easy access to this information. I normally use cocoviewX to add any metadata i like. But I would like to have my caption-comment show in the "get info"-window, is this possible in any way?

It is simply too much of a hassle to have to open applications to find the info, when it must be accessible in the "get info"-panel. Or am I wrong?

any help appreciated...thx

ZballZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
No app, simply OSX. When you click "apple-I" on a jpg file, and the "info"-window opens, it will display certain - but not all - meta-data...

Cave Man

macrumors 604
No app, simply OSX. When you click "apple-I" on a jpg file, and the "info"-window opens, it will display certain - but not all - meta-data...

OK, the app is the Finder. I've never used the Finder to get much info about any file, let alone EXIF. I usually open the file in Preview, which gives you substantially more information, provided it's in the file's header.

ZballZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
hey caveman, thx for the replies...

I just realised that preview, photoshop or cocoview (which i use to edit my metadata), recompresses the jpg-file, when i add a simple keyword. Is this stupid or what?? I did a test and found that all the apps does this...

I had a 4,8 MB jpg-file, opened in preview, added a keyword, and exited the app. After that my jpg-file was down to 1,9 MB. Any way to avoid this? I dont want to lose the quality of my images just because I add a little meta-data. I actually thought that the metadata didnt affect the original jpg-file...

ZballZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
so basically what you're saying is, there is no way to add comments/metadata to my jpg's without losing quality of the image. If this is the case I guess 'adding comments' is a pretty bad idea...

ZballZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
ok, understand now. But I actually thought that it was possible to edit the meta-data without affecting the 'jpg-data'...but I guess not.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
ok, understand now. But I actually thought that it was possible to edit the meta-data without affecting the 'jpg-data'...but I guess not.

Not using an image editor, since the EXIF data is secondary to them, so they use their normal save routines after any modification. EXIF Tool runs on OSX and just updates the EXIF information- I'm sure there are others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.