Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Formulier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
Last week I updated my 2017 13" MBP with touch bar to High Sierra. Metal 2 was one of the main reasons to update, so I wanted to check if everything went well under system information.

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
Metal: Supported, feature set OSX_GPUFamily1_v2

But if you check the Metal feature set tables on Apples developer page (https://developer.apple.com/metal/Metal-Feature-Set-Tables.pdf) it says:
  • OS X El Capitan: macOS_GPUFamily1_v1
  • macOS Sierra: macOS_GPUFamily1_v2
  • macOS High Sierra: macOS_GPUFamily1_v3
On iOS there are multiple GPU families for the different generations of iPhones and iPads, but on macOS there is just one GPU family. So I don't understand why the Metal version under High Sierra is still v2.

Hopefully someone explain this to me.
Thanks in advance!

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
It is a System Information display bug. If your Mac has a GPU supporting Metal 2 and you are running High Sierra, you are running Metal 2 (according to Apple). The bug will be fixed in a coming release.

Formulier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
Thanks nekton1 for you reply. I'd like to think that it is a small bug indeed, but thought that maybe some of the v3 features might be limited to dGPU's instead of the integrated Intel ones.
Anyways, everything seems to work normally, so no reason to complain or be worried about it! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.