Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
I want to use nondestructive editing in photoshop using adjustment layers. However, I need a good program for cataloging those photos. I originally used a Lightroom workflow, but Lightroom just does not run well on my G4 ibook, so I figured a photoshop non destructive editing one would better.

Originally I wanted to use iView Media Pro for cataloging, but they've recently been taken over by Microsoft (yikes). I tried Photomechanic, and I liked it, but I ran into a few hiccups with my workflow while using it (or any image-viewing program).

I don't shoot RAW, so my master file is a JPEG. The problem here is I have to flatten the file to save it so I have to create an extra PSD apart from the master with my changes, which totally defeats the purpose. How can I overcome this? Should I convert everything to PSD when I import it from my camera? Otherwise, I have no idea.

Also, what colorspace should I be shooting in? Is Adobe RGB more of a hassle that I won't really see in teh finished product? What resources can I look at on how to set Photoshop settings such as color profiles etc.?

Thanks in advance.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Lovesong probably knows more than me in terms of a non-destructive workflow, so I'm going to defer to him in that respect.

As for colour workspace, I tend to use sRGB, as it's the most accurate for posting online. Safari can read the exact colour profile of a photo, whereas Firefox assumes that the photo is an sRGB profile. My colours used to be pretty messed up when using Firefox with a custom profile, but now that I use sRGB they're much more accurate.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Safari can read the exact colour profile of a photo, whereas Firefox assumes that the photo is an sRGB profile. My colours used to be pretty messed up when using Firefox with a custom profile, but now that I use sRGB they're much more accurate.

Firefox 3 fixes that shortcoming; however, with the majority of the world still on Internet Explorer it's probably safer to post online using sRGB.

But just because you post photos in sRGB, doesn't mean you have to take them and/or manipulate them in sRGB. I shoot in Adobe RGB (well okay I shoot in RAW so from the camera's point of view it doesn't matter). Aperture converts my images to sRGB automatically on export, at least in its predefined JPEG export options.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So you have JPG files and you want to do non-destructive editing in PS?

Seems the only way is to preserve the unedited image as a layer. Open the JPG in PS copy it to a new layer and then turn off one of the two layers then continue on however you want.

THis is not quite the same thing as Aperture style editing because you have in effect duplicated your images.

How to organize photos? Why not iPhoto? If not then Adobe Bridge.

I don't see the point of paying for Lightroom if you are working exclusively with JPG files. May as well stick with Bridge and PS or iPhoto and PS.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Firefox 3 fixes that shortcoming; however, with the majority of the world still on Internet Explorer it's probably safer to post online using sRGB.

But just because you post photos in sRGB, doesn't mean you have to take them and/or manipulate them in sRGB. I shoot in Adobe RGB (well okay I shoot in RAW so from the camera's point of view it doesn't matter). Aperture converts my images to sRGB automatically on export, at least in its predefined JPEG export options.

Oh I shoot in different profiles too, and edit photos in various other profiles. I just always make sure that before saving I convert to sRGB.

I am excited for Firefox 3's ability to recognize colour profiles, but you're right, with most of the world using IE.... god help us.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
So you have JPG files and you want to do non-destructive editing in PS?

Seems the only way is to preserve the unedited image as a layer. Open the JPG in PS copy it to a new layer and then turn off one of the two layers then continue on however you want.

THis is not quite the same thing as Aperture style editing because you have in effect duplicated your images.

How to organize photos? Why not iPhoto? If not then Adobe Bridge.

I don't see the point of paying for Lightroom if you are working exclusively with JPG files. May as well stick with Bridge and PS or iPhoto and PS.

a lightroom editing thing would be great for nondestructive, even though i don't shoot in raw. I would only create a new version and edit in photoshop for big retouching etc.

However, Lightroom just does not run well on my ibook. Maybe if I max out the ram, but I don't see how an extra 256 or 512 ( i can't remember my book's capacity) can make that much of a difference sinc eI already have a gig in there.

BarnCat

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
In the western mountains.
When you wish upon a star - - -

I want to use nondestructive editing in photoshop using adjustment layers.

I assume that you are using a PC. It's interesting to me that you are concerned with nondestructive editing when you use .jpeg as your format of choice. The problem with this is that jpeg is a lossy compression - every time you save, you lose a percentage of your content (based on a complex algorithm aimed at doing as little damage as possible, still . . .). My own preferred format is PNG, but that has its problems, too, in that it seems no program in the world reads the meta data that can and should be written into the images, and no digital camera uses the format or is capable of encoding it if it did.

Iphoto uses a non-destructive editing set-up. UNLESS you use an external editor, as I do -= as most anybody who needs more than their basic tools - like, say, layers.

So far, my answer is not helpful - I have found no workflow as yet that makes sense to me, allows me flexibility and safety and good storage. If you find any such thing, I'd love to know about it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You want non-destructive editing is PS and good catalogging all on a low end Mac?

Save the JPG as a base layer in PS and use adjustment layers just as you describe. Thenthe catalog this use Adobe Bridge.

I'm an Aperture user but I'm not likeing the way I can't store my PSD files in Aperture. Some of my work is not from a camera but is from a scanner and then into PS CS3 for dust busting, retouching and adjustments. I'd like to be able to file my layered PS files in Aperture. Bridge looks good.

BarnCat

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
In the western mountains.
I'd like to be able to file my layered PS files in Aperture. Bridge looks good.

I don't know anything about bridge - which is stupid, because I seem to own it, CS3. There's too much to learn out there; how do you ever encompass all of it in one lifetime - much less in time to do a project?

I have to say that I've stored PSD in iPHoto, pretty much without a hitch. It's just that they take up so darned much space. My daughter owns iPhoto, aperture, lightroom, and finds herself suspended between lightroom and iphoto with aperture out of the picture altogether - doesn't suit her workflow at all.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
However, Lightroom just does not run well on my ibook. Maybe if I max out the ram, but I don't see how an extra 256 or 512 ( i can't remember my book's capacity) can make that much of a difference sinc eI already have a gig in there.
It's quite clear that your computer is not really meant to do non-destructive editing in today's world. Non-destructive editing of any kind is far more demanding than yesteryear's photoshopping.

To me, it's clear that you need a new machine, because your machine is limiting the way you work. Even a MacBook will suffice (although its integrated graphics card will be a limiting factor if you want to use Aperture, Aperture will still run, though). You need a lot more RAM (which is cheap) and CPU power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.