Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobkeenan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
I have had this watch for 1 month. Love it. I treat it like its my baby. It is either on my wrist or in the charger. I would never have seen these scratches but when I pulled off the milanese band to clean I also cleaned the back of the watch. The charger is in perfect shape. I do set the watch down, when I shower, on my dresser where the back of the watch rests on the milanese band. But I am always very careful about it

I posted in Apple community support and they say clean the watch and clean the charger. But both are always clean. I am wondering if the little bit of handling each morning with the ceramic coating on the stainless milanese is doing this scratching? Is it that fragile?

I can change my habits to only put it on the charger and regularly clean the charger and watch back. But.... Could I polish these micro scratches out? No one will see them but they bug me.

If polishing is an option any suggestions? And issues with removing too much of the ceramic.

This photo makes the scratches look worse than they are.

p2097065989-5.jpg

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
I have had this watch for 1 month. Love it. I treat it like its my baby. It is either on my wrist or in the charger. I would never have seen these scratches but when I pulled off the milanese band to clean I also cleaned the back of the watch. The charger is in perfect shape. I do set the watch down, when I shower, on my dresser where the back of the watch rests on the milanese band. But I am always very careful about it

That's probably what did it. Even people with the Space Black have mentioned allowing the DLC-coated Space Black Milanese Loop to rest against the back of the watch has scratched it up.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
both the metal band and the charger are scratching the back of the watch. not sure how to avoid it.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I won't blame the charger; like I said, my SS's back looks great, and it uses the same charger as all the others.

bobkeenan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
I believe its the brief contacts with the steel milanese band every morning that is doing it. So now I know not to do that. The next question is there anyway to polish out the micro scratches without running the ceramic coating. I tried a few minutes of toothpaste but it did not improve much but it also did not hurt the unscratched areas to my eyes.

ballstriker32

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014

I posted in Apple community support and they say clean the watch and clean the charger. But both are always clean. I am wondering if the little bit of handling each morning with the ceramic coating on the stainless milanese is doing this scratching? Is it that fragile?

I can change my habits to only put it on the charger and regularly clean the charger and watch back. But.... Could I polish these micro scratches out? No one will see them but they bug me.

If polishing is an option any suggestions? And issues with removing too much of the ceramic.

p2097065989-5.jpg
Did you ever try polish to remove the scratches? Did it work? Thanks for any info.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
The Milanese loop can be really abusive to stainless steel or any other material . If you don't put the watch on carefully ensuring that the band doesn't touch the metal, it will create micro scratches. Those scratches on the back of your watch were definitely caused by resting the back on the band.
If you are that concerned about maintaining your watches cosmetic appearance then rest it on its side on a soft cloth.

Diggin In The Crates

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2018

p2097065989-5.jpg

Hi,
I know, this post is old as hell, but if you're still concerned about this, (or, if anybody is, for that matter) and if you're reading this, try a Pencil Eraser!

The thing is, usually, what seems to be "scratches" on ceramic, is actually material from the object which the ceramic rubbed against...

So, in your case it could be some material from the milanese band got stuck on the watch case...
Usually a pencil eraser works well for removing those marks..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.