Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
How quickly circumstances change! Just the other week, I couldn't see why I'd ever need a microphone for my Apple Silicon Mac mini - now I want one. To allow dictation, even the possibility of Siri, and to be able to make extremely simple podcast-like recordings. That is, speech only.

However, I have decided that I don't want to get a webcam and use that - because I would use either an iPhone or my Surface for video like that. And whatever else such as a MacBook Air or iPad in future.

Any recommendations? Needs to be at least decent sound quality, preferably stereo. Having listened to so many podcast recordings, I appreciate the difference a halfway decent microphone makes. And moderate cost - for someone in the UK. I have no relevant experience so simplicity is also desirable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do a search with this string:
"stereo USB mic"

There are many, MANY USB mics out there.

However... I see very few stereo ones. They're going to cost more if you find them.

IMPORTANT:
You want a USB mic that has a built-in headphone jack for monitoring purposes. Otherwise, there will be "latency" if you try to monitor via the Mac's headphone output.

Don't "cheap out" on this. You'll get what you pay for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.