Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Apparently, the Microsoft Office suite is coming to the Mac App Store.
I wanted to create this thread to gather all the information, experiences and updates about the Mac App Store version of the app.

And to start, I wanted to ask two questions:

- Will the regular Microsoft Office 2016 (the non-subscription version) come to the Mac App Store as well?
- When will be the Office apps available on the Mac App Store? Only for Mojave Mac App Store?

You can ask more questions regarding Office on Mac App Store here in this thread.
If requested, I'll make this post a WiKi, for everyone to keep this info up to date.

See you community!

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I use O365 and own copies of the perpetual version of O2016. MS has made the perpetual version of 02019 available to some commercial customers for Win10. I've been told by my MS rep that the next perpetual (read: stand alone licensed copy) - Office 2019 - will be their last before transitioning to a full subscription model in either 2021/2022 with O2019 getting the standard 5+2 support. I've also been told that the perpetual licensed copy with both not have an upgrade path from earlier versions (definitely, just as there was no upgrade path from 2011/2013 to 2016) and will not be available on either the MS Store or the MAS (almost definitely). Timeline for the next version to drop is around late October/early November. My 2¢.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I tried the owned copy of Office 2016 and it was AWFUL. Couldn't even print an envelope from Word 2011, Outlook was a constant issue with Cox once they revamped their email servers. Personally I found it untenable. Found that LibreOffice COULD print that exact same envelope correctly and have shifted everything over to that.
This is just FYI for those wanting to shift to 16/365. Your mileage may differ.

Last edited:

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Are there certain requirements for MAS apps to meet? Does this mean office apps would get support for tabs, versions and other modern macOS features the i miss every time I have to use these apps.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Are there certain requirements for MAS apps to meet? Does this mean office apps would get support for tabs, versions and other modern macOS features the i miss every time I have to use these apps.
There are certain requirements, but not those. They mostly mandate what you cannot do. They don’t mandate that you take advantage of particular sdk’s.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
If you work for a school district and they use Office365 you should be able to get a personal license for 5 computers. I work for a school district and get 5 licenses of Office for my Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.