Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
OK....maybe an odd question. I use Microsoft Remote Desktop on my iPad from home to work with the Windoze box at my desk at work. It actually works well, but I’d like a bigger screen.

Using our fairly new MacBook Pro works nicely, but my wife really wants to be able to use that during the day, and I’m smart enough to respect her wishes.

So yesterday, I was using our old Intel Core 2 Duo (2007, I think) to move some audio cassette material to digital, and I began to wonder: is there a version of Microsoft Remote Desktop I can use with this (10.7.5)? How do I find it without downloading from some sleazy malware site?

Thanks in advance,

chas

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
@bobesch may be able to help you out.
@URcmd! ? ?
There's an early version 8.0.15 (red square icon) of MS RemoteDesktopClient that I do run on my white Lion-iMacs, but it doesn't seem to be available through the AppStore anymore. (Here's a link to my dropbox: RDP8.0.15 and old RDP2.1.2)

@ckuttner: It all depends on the remote PC/Server's operating system, which version of RDP-client is requested.
Which iOS-App are you using to connect to your office-PC?
Does it include to establish a VPN-tunnel first? (If not, then it might be a propriatary iOS-solution)
If you need and have set up VPN on your iPad, then you also need to set up a VPN-connection on your Mac first - with "Cisco IPsec"-protocol and the necessary credentials within the System-Preferences/Network-settings.

Ah, it comes into my mind, that MS Office'08 also comes with the old RemoteDesktopConnection-Utility.
There are downloads at macintoshgarden.org to check this.
There's also the the link to RDP-Client v.2.1.1 : https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/remote-desktop-connection-client-2

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have an old copy of RDC on my Snow Leopard Macs. It works, which is to say, it opens. But it stalls out when trying to connect and then locks the Mac up.

Don't think that's going to help.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
@URcmd! ? ?
There's an early version 8.0.15 (red square icon) of MS RemoteDesktopClient that I do run on my white Lion-iMacs, but it doesn't seem to be available through the AppStore anymore. (Here's a link to my dropbox: RDP8.0.15 and old RDP2.1.2)

@ckuttner: It all depends on the remote PC/Server's operating system, which version of RDP-client is requested.
Which iOS-App are you using to connect to your office-PC?
Does it include to establish a VPN-tunnel first? (If not, then it might be a propriatary iOS-solution)
If you need and have set up VPN on your iPad, then you also need to set up a VPN-connection on your Mac first - with "Cisco IPsec"-protocol and the necessary credentials within the System-Preferences/Network-settings.

Ah, it comes into my mind, that MS Office'08 also comes with the old RemoteDesktopConnection-Utility.
There are downloads at macintoshgarden.org to check this.
There's also the the link to RDP-Client v.2.1.1 : https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/remote-desktop-connection-client-2
Thank you so much—-I’m not using a VPN. Using MRD 10.2.3 on my iPad. I may do some experimenting soon.
Tangential note: my MacBook‘s battery is dead, so the slightest tweak of the Magsafe cord kills the MacBook. I’m amazed how cheap replacement batteries are on eBay. Waiting for one now...

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Thought I'd share my current status--1) got the new battery in, and it seems to be working OK.
2) I've tried RMD 2.1.1., 2.2.2., and CoRD. All of them run OK, no crashes but assuming I'm entering the correct parameters, they're just not connecting to my office's computer. I think I'll send an email to our office's tech crew to make sure I am putting the right stuff in.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Maybe these clients are too old to connect to current versions of Windows. Or some group policy settings need to be changed/relaxed.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Thought I'd share my current status--1) got the new battery in, and it seems to be working OK.
2) I've tried RMD 2.1.1., 2.2.2., and CoRD. All of them run OK, no crashes but assuming I'm entering the correct parameters, they're just not connecting to my office's computer. I think I'll send an email to our office's tech crew to make sure I am putting the right stuff in.
I am really curious, how your home-network is connected to the office-network ...
MS RDP-Client does only work for me whitout any other tricks, as long as the client-Mac is connected directly to the office-network within the office. Otherwise, whether I'm connected to my home-network or whether I'm on-the-go using LTE/MobileHotspot, I need to start a VPN-tunnel before the MS RDP-Client is able to connect to the remote machine.
Is your MacBookPro also set up to connect with your office-machine and are you able to connect from home to the office or did you just tried MS RDP-Client within the office? You may check that MacBookPro about how the MS RDP-Client and network-settings are configurated (maybe, there's a script, that first starts VPN and then RDP-session by a single click).
MS RDP-Client8 should do fine with a Remote Windows10 machine - that's what I think, your office-pc in running on.
Anyway, better get in contact with the office's tech crew to sort out any gitches ... Maybe, they require to be involved in such matter anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.