Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBB4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Since upgrading to Sequoia on launch day, Microsoft Word crashes on opening an existing file or creating a new one. Other MS Office apps work. I've been searching online a plenty since last week and found suggestions such as uninstalling and reinstalling, which I've tried following the detailed instructions from Microsoft and also using CleanMyMac to uninstall and nothing seems to work. Is this something anyone else has experienced and does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm using an iMacPro and waiting for a the M4 Studio next year before upgrading... Thanks.

maverick100

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2019
Just wondering; Is it Office 365, Office 2021; Office 2024?

just installed Office 2024 on my Wife's 2017 iMac and it required updates right away?

JBB4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
all i know is it works for me. try to create a clean new user account and run Word there. will it work?
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean a new Apple user account?

Edit: if you did mean a new Apple account, then I've just tried that and still get the same issue. Thanks though. Somthing I hadn't tried!

Last edited:

JBB4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Just wondering; Is it Office 365, Office 2021; Office 2024?

just installed Office 2024 on my Wife's 2017 iMac and it required updates right away?
Started when I had Office 365 but I've got the other two as well and each has the same problem (removed the license and tried all three separately).

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean a new Apple user account?

Edit: if you did mean a new Apple account, then I've just tried that and still get the same issue. Thanks though. Somthing I hadn't tried!
i think @zevrix suggedted to create a new user account on your Mac - not a new Apple ID. Log in as that new user on your system and try to run MS Office.

EDIT: if Office crashes have a look in the crash reporter log in the Console.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.