Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s0m0teitbe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2020
Hello,

First off, thanks for anyone who can provide assistance and can help.

I have a 13” MacBook Pro Mid 2010 that had a broken trackpad. I purchased a used one locally, installed it, and the cursor would just stay in top left corner of the screen and wouldn’t move but I could click and it would register the click.

I thought it was faulty so I returned it, ordered a different one from online, and even ordered the cable this time thinking maybe a bad cable and same result. Can’t move the cursor but it registers the clicks.

I’ve reset SMC, reset PRAM/NRAM, and even a fresh install of OS through internet recovery all to the same result. I have booted into Safe Boot and cursor still wont move. But recognizes clicks. I have deleted all the .plist files associated with mouse, trackpad, all to no avail.

If I plug in a wired mouse or wireless 3rd party mouse it works fine.

I have checked the battery and it is NOT swollen. I have even tried leaving the battery out and it all ends the same. No cursor movement but registers clicks.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any ideas what this could be? Obviously it’s detecting the trackpad or I wouldn’t be able to click the Apple in top left corner. Anyone ever run into this issue before and find a solution?

Thanks again for any advice!!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is it possible that the trackpad connector on the logic board is damaged?

I suggest using a magnifying glass or take a picture with a digital camera and blowing it up to have a closer look.

Was the logic board exposed to moisture?

s0m0teitbe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2020
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was on vacation and haven't messed with the MacBook until today. I took a magnifying glass and did a thorough examination of the board and I can not see any thing irregular and none of the moisture indictors are set off.

This is the most puzzling problem I have run into in awhile. I can even move the cursor with a wired mouse, unhook the wired mouse, and click whatever I placed the cursor over and it will open the application or click whatever it is I place the cursor over.

Does anyone know the schematics on the board as far as what controls the click and what controls the cursor movement to see if perhaps a capacitor or something is bad?

Thanks again for any help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.