Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkxmnr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Wichita, KS
It's alive! Swapped out the core i3-540 for an i5-680 using the guide from iFixit. According to a few benchmarks I found online, the i5 scores anywhere from 17% to 30% higher. By the seat of the pants, it feels a bit zippier. My Windows 10 virtual machine seems to boot a little faster. Overall, not a bad $50 eBay purchase.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
It's alive! Swapped out the core i3-540 for an i5-680 using the guide from iFixit. According to a few benchmarks I found online, the i5 scores anywhere from 17% to 30% higher. By the seat of the pants, it feels a bit zippier. My Windows 10 virtual machine seems to boot a little faster. Overall, not a bad $50 eBay purchase.
I purchased this same CPU (from eBay) to do the exact same upgrade. The iFixIt guide looks pretty straight forward (I've upgraded hard drives in similar models before, so a comfortable at least with the first half of the process).

Now that you have done it. Do you feel that the performance increase was worth it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.