Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hey everyone,

I recently started refurbing on my old 2010 MBP and have run in to some problems.

First problem that I am having is the battery was bulging and pressing the trackpad up so that it would no longer click, but I have resolved that by simply removing the battery for now, and I intend to buy a cheap one on Amazon in the near future.

The second, and probably most pressing issue that I am facing is that the hard drive inside of the machine refuses to function. I would boot into the MacOS High Sierra installer, and it wouldn't even show up in the Disk Utility. I figured, oh well, I would be upgrading to an SSD anyways, so I went ahead and installed a spare 240GB SSD in the machine, and upon booting into Disk Utility from the installer USB, it saw the SSD no problem, so I went ahead and began to format it.... and ran into some troubles, giving me the error "error wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed". A quick search yielded me some information that points in the direction of a cable failure, specifically the SATA adapter cable that runs to the SSD/HDD.

I am hoping this is the cause, because it is extremely cheap compared to, say, a logic board repair, so I plan on ordering a new cable tonight. I just want some input as to whether there could be any other causes, or how common of an issue this is.

Furthermore, is there any way that I could prevent this issue from occurring again in the future? Some people suggested wrapping the cable in duct tape to prevent it from rubbing against other components, etc. but I really don't know whether to believe those posts, though I doubt it could hurt anything.

TIA all, I really appreciate it.
-S

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
you're definitely spot on replacing hard drive cable first, its pretty common failure, mine got
flashing question mark folder 5yrs ago, replacing it solves the problem but I did wrap it with electrical tape this time so far so good, I would not bother fixing the logic board, it cost less to buy a used a good condition 2010 mid MacBook Pro logic board on eBay. Good luck.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The best way to determine if it's a connecting cable failure is to connect the same drive EXTERNALLY using a USB connection (enclosure, dock, dongle, etc.).

If an internal drive that "seemed to be" exhibiting problems suddenly "clears up" when connected externally, it's likely the connecting cable.

zwt

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2019
The HDD flex cable is an existing issue especially if you put SSD in. I had to replace it like 2-3 times in the past 10 years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.