Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captain Brillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
Hi ya, my iMac mid-2011 won't load since I tried restarting it. It had successfully upgraded 10.13.2 but now the progress bar slowly fills but never loads.

I've tried nearly all options I've found online but if you have a solution please let me know. Only shut down on Christmas Eve to find it dead Christmas day! And No back up since Dec 2016! :-(

Recovery (Reinstall High Sierra) - loads but never finishes (even from a USB)
Safe Mode to fix macOS Sierra - shift key doesn't seem to work
Disk Utility - Finds no errors

Just loads and stays there and I've left it for 24 hours!

Any ideas?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi ya, my iMac mid-2011 won't load since I tried restarting it. It had successfully upgraded 10.13.2 but now the progress bar slowly fills but never loads.

I've tried nearly all options I've found online but if you have a solution please let me know. Only shut down on Christmas Eve to find it dead Christmas day! And No back up since Dec 2016! :-(

Any ideas?
No back up for a year? Dude...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It happened to my MacBook Pro when I had Symantec Endpoint Protection on it. After removal of this thing the machine booted without problem.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

Any ideas?

a colleague had similar with an ancient MacBook that he tried to put high sierra on, it kept as it it was installing, then when it restarted it would just go back to installing it. similar to yours disk utility wouldn't work, and putting high sierra on a usb stick just did the same thing albeit much slower.

i got him to buy a usb external drive, started up the MacBook and when it came up with the installation app i got it to install high sierra on the external drive, then started up from the external drive and the internal drive appeared so we could copy all his files onto the external drive, then reformat the drive and reinstall and its been fine since.

Captain Brillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
It happened to my MacBook Pro when I had Symantec Endpoint Protection on it. After removal of this thing the machine booted without problem.
I'd like to remove Avast and looking to see how.

install high sierra on the external drive, then started up from the external drive and the internal drive appeared so we could copy all his files onto the external drive, then reformat the drive and reinstall and its been fine since.
If I can't remove Avast, or it fails to solve it, then I'll try this next! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.