Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oliver1943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2019
Anchorage
Mid-2012 MapPro, OS 10.9.5, 32GM RAM, 2TB SSD and 3 2TB HD’s, all cloned to the SSD. Runs lickety-split in Mavericks: instant opening of apps, no typing lag, in short, is the fastest Mac I have ever had, and I have had dozens since 1984..

However, my efforts to upgrade to Yosemite and/or El Capitan have ended in failure. I use the Install OSX Yosemite or Install OSX El Capitan applications, onto the SSD. No error messages. I've done this about four separate times.

Result: super-sluggish performance. 5 second typing lags in Word and Mail, apps that bounce in the dock for a minute or two before finally opening. 2-3 second delays in opening drop-down menus. In short, Macintosh Hell. Waiting a day for indexing, etc., to complete does no good.

So I clone one of the HD’s back to the SSD and revert to Mavericks, which runs, as usual, perfectly.

If anyone else has had this problem, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Oliver in Alaska

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Mid-2012 MapPro, OS 10.9.5, 32GM RAM, 2TB SSD and 3 2TB HD’s, all cloned to the SSD. Runs lickety-split in Mavericks: instant opening of apps, no typing lag, in short, is the fastest Mac I have ever had, and I have had dozens since 1984..

However, my efforts to upgrade to Yosemite and/or El Capitan have ended in failure. I use the Install OSX Yosemite or Install OSX El Capitan applications, onto the SSD. No error messages. I've done this about four separate times.

Result: super-sluggish performance. 5 second typing lags in Word and Mail, apps that bounce in the dock for a minute or two before finally opening. 2-3 second delays in opening drop-down menus. In short, Macintosh Hell. Waiting a day for indexing, etc., to complete does no good.

So I clone one of the HD’s back to the SSD and revert to Mavericks, which runs, as usual, perfectly.

If anyone else has had this problem, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Oliver in Alaska
Did you tried downloading El Capitan from Apple download page, making a createinstallmedia USB then doing a clean install from USB into your SSD?

Always start troubleshooting from a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.