Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNA930

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
I have a question about the need for a mid-range zoom.

I have a D700 with Nikon 14-24 2.8, 50 1.4, and 70-200 2.8. Last week, a couple of friends who consider themselves "Semi-Pros", whatever that means, kept raving about how much their mid-range zooms were the greatest lenses ever made. I currently don't own a mid-range zoom and don't plan on getting one. I shoot landscapes with the wide-angle zoom and portraits and sports with my tele-zoom. For everything else in between, I use my 50 and reposition myself. Am I really missing out by not having a mid-range zoom?

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
If you don't truely have a need for a particular lens then the only thing you will be missing if you don't buy one is the hole in your wallet. If you have a very rare need for a lens then you can always rent one.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a question about the need for a mid-range zoom.

I have a D700 with Nikon 14-24 2.8, 50 1.4, and 70-200 2.8. Last week, a couple of friends who consider themselves "Semi-Pros", whatever that means, kept raving about how much their mid-range zooms were the greatest lenses ever made. I currently don't own a mid-range zoom and don't plan on getting one. I shoot landscapes with the wide-angle zoom and portraits and sports with my tele-zoom. For everything else in between, I use my 50 and reposition myself. Am I really missing out by not having a mid-range zoom?

If you were being paid to shoot a head and shoulders shot of every person at a wedding reception a low cost 18-55mm zoom would save you a ton of walking back and forth. Just be glad you are not a "semi-pro" who is paid for such work. That is the best part of being an amateur, you get to do what you want.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Indoors in crowded locations is when a 24-70 f/2.8 shows it's merit because sometimes walking back enough to get the shot you want would mean walking through a wall.

I also use my 50 f/1.4 quite a bit, but if I could afford the 24-70 f/2.8 right now, it would be my most often used lens.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
If you don't truely have a need for a particular lens then the only thing you will be missing if you don't buy one is the hole in your wallet. If you have a very rare need for a lens then you can always rent one.

Agree that renting the 24-70 might be in order to see if that is something he would really use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.