Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davedpss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
I have looked around a good bit online and I am not finding any solutions for moving my email, contacts and calendar data from Outlook (Office 365) to a Gmail account. Is there a way to do this? Whether automated or a manual process or some combination of the two? It is a pretty good size Outlook account, 8 - 10GB of data. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The hardest thing is Mail. You could use a reliable service such as bittitan.com. For that many emails you'll have to do a lot of copying and verifying on your own.

On your Mac, it would be easy to transfer contacts from an Exchange to CardDAV account just selecting and dragging them in the Contacts app (or…an export/import).

In the Calendar app, you can do an export/import also.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Gmail website will also accept a CardDAV file as input. CalDAV as well for Calendar items. Not sure if Outlook can export these.

Might be easiest to turn on syncing of Calendar and Contacts between Exchange and Mac. Then enable syncing between Mac and Google. Then can turn off the Exchange sync.

Need to ask: how import are the emails REALLY? Yes, people like to hang onto every bit of email they've ever had, but, when was the last time you had to go deep into it? And does it have to be on Gmail? Reason is, mail has a lifecycle like much any other data file: we might use/look at it often for a couple of weeks, then number of accesses start to tail off, and after a month or two, probably never go back to it. With that, why not move the mails from Exchange into "On My Mac" folder(s): keeps copies for the future generations, and not spend time/effort to get the items synced to Gmail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.