Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
You'll lose all your photo edits; but I'd think you could export all your master images + xmp sidecar (metadata) files, then import into Lightroom. That would, I think, at least preserve your keywords, captions and such.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Haven't made the switch yet, does Aperture 2 introduce an easier way to transfer my library over? If nothing else, is there a way to transfer just the RAW adjustments? Or even just my whole library?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Haven't made the switch yet, does Aperture 2 introduce an easier way to transfer my library over? If nothing else, is there a way to transfer just the RAW adjustments? Or even just my whole library?

I thin your raw adjustments will have to stay with Lightroom. But you could ask LR to export all your images as TIFF. The TIFF files would contain the results of your raw adjustments

randomlinh

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2006
You'll lose all your photo edits; but I'd think you could export all your master images + xmp sidecar (metadata) files, then import into Lightroom. That would, I think, at least preserve your keywords, captions and such.

Aperture does not properly understand importing sidecar files unfortunately. It sucks because I was testing out lightroom for a couple of months, thinking of switching. But with Aperture 2 out, and all the work in brining my library over (I want it all in one place so I can search it easily), I think I'm going to go back.

Granted, I only have a few hundred photos in my little trial period, but it's still a PITA.

virus7

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Denver, CO
I have all my images in Lightroom and I'd love to be able to move to Aperture 2, mainly for the tight integration with Apple TV.

Will metadata at least move over?

Binford

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
I have all my images in Lightroom and I'd love to be able to move to Aperture 2, mainly for the tight integration with Apple TV.

Will metadata at least move over?

does apple tv mesh well with aperture? i originally thoguht it was mainly used compatibily with iphoto (which i haven't opened even once on my computer). thanks! definetly going to look more into applet v now...

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
jsut wondering, what reasons are you moving for?

Will be adding a second monitor to my MBP setup soon. Lightroom has poor dual screen support/ workflow. Also I would enjoy the tighter integration that aperture has with the other pro apps (DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut etc.)

My Library has grown to nearly 3,000 in the past few months, making the switch difficult at best. It may not happen though, as there seems to be no painless way to switch. I was merely checking if someone knew of an easy way to transfer the library, so that I could try out Aperture 2, and possibly take the plunge. Although LR is very speedy, Aperture integrates so well with the other apps, and it's PS like (non tabbed a la LR) workflow seems to make a little more since.

Will be adding a second monitor to my MBP setup soon. Lightroom has poor dual screen support/ workflow. Also I would enjoy the tighter integration that aperture has with the other pro apps (DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut etc.)

My Library has grown to nearly 3,000 in the past few months, making the switch difficult at best. It may not happen though, as there seems to be no painless way to switch. I was merely checking if someone knew of an easy way to transfer the library, so that I could try out Aperture 2, and possibly take the plunge. Although LR is very speedy, Aperture integrates so well with the other apps, and it's PS like (non tabbed a la LR) workflow seems to make a little more since.

I was potentially in a similar position to you. I was impressed by the integration of Aperture with the other apps. Also, whilst iPhoto is pretty good for doing Photo Books, some of the extra stuff in Aperture looked pretty tidy. So, I had a go with Aperture 2. Speed was not an issue (one everyone was loaded and previews created etc. However, unlike you, I actually missed the tabbed workflow approach of LR. I found LR a lot easier to use out of the box.
So, given my own personal problems with using it (some people prefer to work in a more free flow way, I appreciate that), it's certainly not worth loosing all my edits to transfer across.

Writing this did lead me onto an interesting thought though. LR gives you the choice to store your changes into seperated xmp files. That to me seems more 'future proof'. Apertures changes are stored in it's library (as is LR in it's default setting). XMP (and DNG) could potentially in the future become a de-facto standard, wheres Apertures single library of changes (whilst backup-able) is propriatory. ..... which is another reason for me to stick with LR for now.
Or maybe I'm just talking rubbish with this latter point. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.