Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slartibartfast42

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I have a mid 2011 Mini with a 250Gb SDD and 750Gb HDD. I plan soon to migrate to a new mini with either (i) a single internal SDD or (ii) a small internal SDD and a larger external SDD.

I currently keep most of my stuff on the internal SDD but music and photos over on the HDD.

I backup both to Time Machine.

Will the migration assistant be able to cope with 2 drives on the old Mini, and either 1 or 2 on the new?

I was thinking if I went for (ii) I would just keep the OS on the internal SDD and everything else on the external. Would I have to deal with that after the migration?

Thanks!

Alex

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I suspect it depends on how you have your second drive linked. It might ignore is unless linked via symbolic links to standard locations.
I would migrate the system and if the music and photos are not transferred copy those over manually.

Slartibartfast42

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I suspect it depends on how you have your second drive linked. It might ignore is unless linked via symbolic links to standard locations.
I would migrate the system and if the music and photos are not transferred copy those over manually.

Thanks for the reply. I've found another thread which covers the sort of situation I have, so am following your/that advice. I'll focus on migrating from the Time Machine backup to the internal SSD, then as I understand it, if as you say the migration assistant doesn't copy the photos & music from the internal HDD, I can just copy them over to the new external SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.