Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
London
I've ordered a new 27" iMac 5k to replace my 2007 iMac.

I'll be transferring all my files to the new Mac and want to make sure I don't mess up.

When I turn on the 2007 iMac it doesn't recognise the hard drive. I'll try to fix that but I do have a Time Machine backup.

If I restore from the backup, will it take me back to Snow Leopard, or does it just copy the user profile and content?

If the latter, do the files get moved to the same location, or does OS X put them somewhere else?

Finally, my iTunes library has the old file structure where it doesn't separate podcasts and other media from the music. I want to ensure that my podcasts library transfers properly, with the notes and the subscriptions remaining live. (Several years ago I tried to transfer some podcasts to my MacBook and the notes weren't present and subscribing began a new download stream).

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Use Migration Assistant to copy all of your documents, apps, user accounts, and settings to a new Mac from another computer. Just connect your Time Machine drive and use Migration Assistant. It does NOT transfer the OS. I can not answer the question about iTunes.

Reactions: Weaselboy

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Use Migration Assistant to copy all of your documents, apps, user accounts, and settings to a new Mac from another computer. Just connect your Time Machine drive and use Migration Assistant. It does NOT transfer the OS. I can not answer the question about iTunes.

To the OP:

As above with one caveat: Do not create an account on the new iMac before using the MA otherwise you'll be dealing with two accounts and scattered data. The MA will move everything including your account info and as stated, it does not transfer OS system files.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
I agree with both. Don't add an account before you transfer, and use Migration Assistant to move your files, it's much simpler that way. As for iTunes, it should copy your files over as-is. The folder structure and XML file should be untouched. The only caveat is, if you were using an older version of iTunes in order to keep your file structure how you like it, it will change it when you open the new version of iTunes. This is, however, only if you have automatic file management enabled. If you have manual file management enabled, it should read how your library is constructed in the XML file that was transferred and keep it the same.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have successfully used MA to migrate to a new Mac from a FRESH TM backup. I have had difficulty migrating from an "old" TM backup, ie one that has been running and backing up incrementally for months or years. Normally, I do one of two things when migrating:

1) put the old Mac in target disk mode and migrate over firewire (I know, this is a legacy thing but I bet it still works over thunderbolt),

2) start a FRESH TM backup on the old Mac to a usb drive (NEVER over a network) and let it finish even if it takes longer than select that TM backup in migration assistant on the new Mac. In your case, this is not an option but chances are your existing TM backup is just fine especially if it wasn't done over wifi or ethernet.

Let us know how things work out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.