Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Decided I want all of my photos in one place, and decided on Aperture.

It's quite simple to get the photos from iPhoto Aperture, but I have a few questions about Key Words.

This is my plan.

Import my iPhoto Library using Aperture's import, then reorganizing photos in Aperture to set it up as I like to work. A folder for each year, and then albums, projects and others within those folders. That part seems simple.

Key words seem to be the issue, when you import the photos from iPhoto, you get all the keywords, but they are not organized just a big list in an iPhoto folder.

I intend to use keywords even more then I do now in iPhoto. So here is the question.

Can I organize the keywords into folders (outside of the iPhoto folder they get put in) without breaking the keyword in files? Or will I break some other feature in Aperture feature?

My plan is then to just leave my iPhoto library in place, as a backup.

Any other things I should think of any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Maybe you have already tried this, but you can set up iPhoto to do what you described here without using Aperture. You can put Folders inside Folder in iPhoto and inside Folders you can add Albums and Smart Albums with rules so that any photo with a Keyword with go into the right Smart Album. You can add several Keywords to a photo to make it easier to find with a Keyword search. By using the Search bars " Date, Keyword or Rating" to search in a Folder you can find any group of photos easy and fast, also you can use "Sort Photos" under the View menu to help in a long list of photos.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-23 at Oct 23,  10.07.43 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-10-23 at Oct 23, 10.07.43 AM.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 76

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
I do have things configured like that in iPhoto. Works well enough for my point and shoot photos. That's why I want to preserve the structure in Aperture.

My "more serious" photos are RAW and have been using Bridge and Photoshop. I really like how Aperture works, and I like the idea of having things all in one place.

Real question is managing the keywords. I would build a folder structure in aperture and I just want to make sure I wouldn't break the links to the photos if I moved the keywords around in Aperture's keyword screen.

Guess it's time to do some testing with a smaller number of files and I'll just transfer them manually.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.