Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
Is the Magic Trackpad as easy as to use the mouse ? Or better ?
Right now, with my external monitor at 2560 x 1440 and the MBP's screen on the left, navigating the mouse pointer across screens is longer process - so was wondering if the Trackpad simplifies this ? Would I be able to click and right-click on the Trackpad with ease ?

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I run three large screens at home and at work. I switched to a trackpad from a mouse and it's helped my wrist RSI immensely.

Reactions: Yog and anjanesh

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
It's a good idea if it works for you. I tried to do the same thing but switched back to Magic Mouse because Apple still didn't fix the Bluetooth lag. It's ridiculous that one of the biggest companies in the world can't solve such a minor issue like this.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I just got it - it's a superb experience. Far far better than a mouse. Thanks for the heads up.
I go back and forth between mouse and trackpad. I've got both at my desk so I can use whichever feels better at the moment (sometime my carpal tunnel doesn't like the trackpad).

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
On a related note: I found an oldish Apple Trackpad in my stuff (using insertable batteries instead of an integrated one). Does anyone if there a noticeable difference between the newer trackpads and the older (first?) variant?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
On a related note: I found an oldish Apple Trackpad in my stuff (using insertable batteries instead of an integrated one). Does anyone if there a noticeable difference between the newer trackpads and the older (first?) variant?
The original ones I think used a divingboard-like mechanical mechanism for clicking. The newer versions are electromechanical like on the recent model MacBooks. I could be wrong, though.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
I get the Trackpad's bluetooth disconnected often. Mostly when the MBP's lid is shut. I have to use the laptop's in-built trackpad to reconnect the bluetooth trackpad. Otherwise its all smooth. Is it because Im still on Mojave ? Does upgrading to future Ventura solve any issues ?

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
No it's because of where the MBP's antennas are and the fact it's a metal box for the most part. The antennas are behind the display glass. When the lid is shut it blocks a lot of the signal. Updating won't fix anything.

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
Depends on the individual.
I always use the trackpad, but the rest of my family prefer the mouse.

gshocked

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I switched from a Logitech MX master 3 to black Magic Trackpad and it’s been fantastic. I working in video and photography editing and it feels that I’m working faster. It is amazing navigating around the OS with the gestures.

I previously had the Magic Mouse but that give me hand cramps and switched the MX Master 3, which was comfortable at first but then felt too big at times.

The Magic Trackpad is great, however, I had to tweak my chair set up, so I wouldn’t get wrist pain. It’s great now I’m use to it.

Reactions: anjanesh

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I got a Studio a few months ago and am considering getting the Magic Trackpad. I've always used mice, usually trackball ones. What's the learning curve like? Is it just like the trackpad on my MBA, but bigger? Or does it take some getting used to even after years of using laptop trackpads? For example, how do I right click on the MT?

Thanks!

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I'd like to switch from mouse to MT as well but unwilling to buy another lightning device. When they go USB-C, I'll buy one. Guessing that will happen at the Pro launch.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I got a Studio a few months ago and am considering getting the Magic Trackpad. I've always used mice, usually trackball ones. What's the learning curve like? Is it just like the trackpad on my MBA, but bigger? Or does it take some getting used to even after years of using laptop trackpads? For example, how do I right click on the MT?

Thanks!
100% same as on your MacBook. Same settings available in the system preferences as well.

Reactions: CoMoMacUser

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Unless you incline your trackpad or make a conscious effort to use your middle finger for movements, it's not better or worse than a mouse. It allows more flexible positions so it could help some, but the fundamental issue of keeping your wrist extended and flat is still there. Try it yourself and see, it feels much more comfortable to keep your hands vertical (thumb pointing upward, palms facing each other) than to keep them flat (palms parallel to table).

Maybe you can 3d print a triangular wedge to incline your trackpad so you can keep your hands at a slanted angle.

Do note that you can always use a 2-handed setup with trackpad and left and mouse/trackball on right and switch between them as needed. That way you can do gestures with one hand and pointer movements with other.

eduardodfj

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2022
But the lightning is used only for charging.
Yes, but lightning is a dying standard and I (in the same boat) expect a trackpad to last a lot. My 12-year old Magic Mouse is dying and I'm holding the purchase of a trackpad because I want/need it to have a USB-C connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.