Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gopcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Hello, I’d like some input on migrating from one MacBook Pro to another.

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro that has an issue with the keyboard. It has the Dual Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. Storage is 1TB SSD from OWC. Some of the applications loaded include Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, MS Office 2019 including Outlook email. The OS is Mojave. Let’s call this one “Item A”.

I have purchased a 2015 MacBook Pro that seems to be in very good condition. It has the Dual Graphics, AMD Radeon R9 M370X. Storage is Apple 500GB. The OS is Mojave. Let’s call this one “Item B”.

I want to move the 1TB SSD from Item A to Item B. The laptops are very similar. Would it work to simply remove the 1TB SSD from A and insert it in B? I’m wondering if the DG in B would work properly, if the proper drivers are present on the 1TB for the AMD hardware in B. I really would like for Outlook and all my emails to be available in B.

Another option is to use Migration Assistant to transfer apps from A to B. I’m concerned about Outlook email working, also about licenses for MS Office and Adobe working properly. Or, would a SuperDuper backup or Time Machine backup accomplish the goals?

Thanks in advance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You'll have to do some research as to whether or not the internal drives on those two MBPs are "exchangeable", or not.

If they are, it might be worth a try to swap them.
But be aware that you could at some point encounter problems (such as updating firmware) if the original, factory-installed drive "isn't there".

Reactions: gopcs

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro that has an issue with the keyboard. It has the Dual Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. Storage is 1TB SSD from OWC. Some of the applications loaded include Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, MS Office 2019 including Outlook email. The OS is Mojave. Let’s call this one “Item A”.

I have purchased a 2015 MacBook Pro that seems to be in very good condition. It has the Dual Graphics, AMD Radeon R9 M370X. Storage is Apple 500GB. The OS is Mojave. Let’s call this one “Item B”.

I want to move the 1TB SSD from Item A to Item B. The laptops are very similar. Would it work to simply remove the 1TB SSD from A and insert it in B? I’m wondering if the DG in B would work properly, if the proper drivers are present on the 1TB for the AMD hardware in B. I really would like for Outlook and all my emails to be available in B.

Another option is to use Migration Assistant to transfer apps from A to B. I’m concerned about Outlook email working, also about licenses for MS Office and Adobe working properly. Or, would a SuperDuper backup or Time Machine backup accomplish the goals?

Thanks in advance.
Here is a Apple article that explains how to migrate from Mac to Mac:

Do you have enough space on the new Mac smaller drive for all of the data from the old Mac larger drive?

Another method, which I prefer, is to use Super Duper to make a clone of the old Mac internal drive to a external drive. Then connect external drive to the new Mac and migrate from that.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
All SSDs from late 2013 to 2015 MacBooks are interchangeable.

The SSD from item A will work in item B and should boot item B with no issues. I have done this myself by switching SSDs between mid-2013 to 2017 Airs and late 2013 to 2015 MacBook Pros.

Note that the SSD from the 2014 (item A) may be a 2-lane drive while the SSD in the 2015 (item B) is a 4 lane drive.

gopcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016

Thanks in advance.
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I decided to use the Migration Assistant, removing the antivirus first. Everything works so far. So I am on the 500GB SSD right now. If everything is still working satisfactorily after a few days, I will backup using SuperDuper and install the 1TB from OWC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.