Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I want to restore my Time Machine backup from my now-dead iMac onto a new Mac Mini, but since I'd like to do this right the first time, I have some questions before I proceed. (I realize this should be a simple operation, but I'm just being cautious.)
  1. The Time Machine backup exists on a 1TB partition of a 2TB external HDD (USB 3.0 connection) and it uses up every bit of space on that 1TB partition ... should I be worried that the new home for this data will be a smaller 500GB HDD of a 2014 Mac Mini?
  2. The Mac Mini was saved by me from being thrown in the trash, and given to a family member who used it for a year. They eventually concluded they had no use for the Mac Mini and gave it back to me ... but in that time they set up an administrative account and connected their other personal information to it (they gave me their Mac account password). Will this get in the way of installing all my iMac's data onto "their" computer? Or will Migration Assistant wipe away their Mac account and replace it with the account from my iMac? (I have permission to make a clean wipe of all the data and account info currently on the Mac Mini.)
  3. My iMac was using something like Mac OS 10.3 when it died ... will this Migration Assistant restore me to that or will I still be on 10.4 or 10.5 or whatever the new OS is on the new Mac Mini (I could check but I'm a little squeezed for time).
Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
1. TM backups are a collection of iterations fo files over time, so generally much larger than the drive on the iMac. When you restore, it will use latest versions of files, and will exclude OS files if you already have an OS installed on the target system. Chances are, it will fit. It will tell you if not.

2. Since you don't seem to need the user data for their account, I would create a new Administrator level account, then login with the new account and remove their account. It will prompt if you want to get rid of their files, do so, it will free up a lot of space. Then, run MA and import everything into the new account you just created.

3. TM\MA are designed specifically to migrate data from a PC or older Mac to a new one. If will just restore what you want, so user files, applications, computer settings. it will pass on restoring OS files since the target is a newer version.

Reactions: bungiefan89

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
1. TM backups are a collection of iterations fo files over time, so generally much larger than the drive on the iMac. When you restore, it will use latest versions of files, and will exclude OS files if you already have an OS installed on the target system. Chances are, it will fit. It will tell you if not.

2. Since you don't seem to need the user data for their account, I would create a new Administrator level account, then login with the new account and remove their account. It will prompt if you want to get rid of their files, do so, it will free up a lot of space. Then, run MA and import everything into the new account you just created.

3. TM\MA are designed specifically to migrate data from a PC or older Mac to a new one. If will just restore what you want, so user files, applications, computer settings. it will pass on restoring OS files since the target is a newer version.
Thank you very much for addressing my inquiry so promptly and accurately. The migration went as smooth as can be expected. Now my only problem is drowning in software updates and accessing my old data via a Mac Mini with a 4GB RAM bottleneck. lol. But I will overcome these challenges in time.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.