Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beatbeckham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Norway
Hi there!

I am thinking of buying my first Apple Watch. I want a milanese loop, but not sure if I should get the pricy original from Apple og a thirs party from Ebay. Does anyone have a recommandations after using both versions?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Ive never used a knockoff but I can vouch for the original. Solid product, use all day during intense exercise etc. Still looks new. I had the same question as you and I don't regret going for the original.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I have bought a couple of 3rd party bands from Amazon. Did fine but eventually the finish started wearing off. Currently using a fabric loop band that is much lighter. I'm more concerned about comfort and function than looks.

Reactions: twanj

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
For the bands other than Stainless Steel (so no finish), the Apple OEM bands appear to hold up much better over time based on reports.

I have a third-party SB ML from Amazon that I rarely wore (I bought an OEM SB Link Bracelet which effectively replaced it) and it showed wear pretty quickly.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I have a small selection of 3rd party bands from the other side of the Great Wall. They do the job but I’m getting rid of them simply because they don‘t wear that well in the long term. I have a Series5 TI watch with the OEM Silver Link Bracelet and the Grey sport band. My 3rd party are Black link, silver, gold, black and space grey Milanese loop and a few sport loops. I decided to order two Milanese loops (One silver, One gold) from Apple. My silver arrived Monday and I could immediately feel and see the difference. it is slightly heavier/stronger. The finish is better. Great attention to detail. You can see the mesh is much tighter and the edges of the strap are polished so no burrs to snag your clothes. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.
Having said that I fully realize some folks have budget constraints and if that is the concern DO NOT stretch your budget to the point of collapse just for a watch strap. You will be stressed for no reason and you’ll get a lot of use out of the heart monitoring on the new watch.
If you’re not sure, try a 3rd party watchband to see if you even like the look. There are countless ones to choose from. I bought mine from Paraphonealia and GoStraps. I had no issues getting them, other than slow delivery due to what ever the world is freaking out about this week. Did one exchange with Paraphonealia that went well. Search around. You’ll find what you want. Happy hunting.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
One thing to note is that the Milanese Loops (including the Apple OEM models) can damage the finish of your watch if not careful. Plenty of reports of them scratching the cases if they are allowed to impact against them with any real force. So be sure to handle them with care.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I’ve been collecting bands since 2015 beginning with my Series 0 watch. I’ve bought all my bands from Amazon... all different types. I read the reviews diligently before purchasing. All of my bands are still in perfect condition. It’s truly a personal decision. I would rather have more bands to switch up and my discretionary funds don’t allow that to happen buying OEM bands from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.