Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Hi,

I have a SS Apple Watch and purchased a milanese stainless steel from CEX (£45 and it was brand new genuine apple band).

I love it but I wonder if anyone uses an SS watch and this band for sports or wearing to bed (sleep tracking). Is it useful for sports? can ok for jogging/sweat? or is it not very strong and liable to break?

what's everyones experience?

thanks in advance :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I personally wouldn't use the Milanese loop for fitness or sports. It's not really intended for that. I wouldn't subject the Milanese to excessive sweat, mainly being it would have to be cleaned regularly with the mesh. Also, the Milanese loop would likely have to be tightened frequently, being others have said it comes lose often.

It is durable, also it's soft and lightweight. It looks great paired with the stainless.

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
It'll stand up to sweat just fine. Rinse it in the shower afterwards and let it air dry. Saw a guy jogging with one the summer after its launch, too.

I think the Sport band can remain more secure and snug, though. I pop the Sport band one peg tighter when I got for a jog and it doesn't wiggle around at all -- hopefully it tracks my HR better, too.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
It'll stand up to sweat just fine. Rinse it in the shower afterwards and let it air dry. Saw a guy jogging with one the summer after its launch, too.

I think the Sport band can remain more secure and snug, though. I pop the Sport band one peg tighter when I got for a jog and it doesn't wiggle around at all -- hopefully it tracks my HR better, too.
That's great! I would love to use it but just worried it will break and if my watch broken I would be stuck with a broken band and watch.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/broken-milanese-loop.1889045/

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I've seen a surprising number of people on here mentioning exercising with it (never would have occurred to me to even try), and some even saying it's nice because it breathes better. I'll probably try it myself soon. I need to get a sport band regardless though, because I don't like the idea of exercising with the milanese loop every single day. But it clearly can be done. As long as you rinse off the sweat afterwards so the salt in your sweat doesn't corrode the metal over time, it should be ok. But again, not sure how practical it is if you exercise daily. And I don't know what other wear and tear it might suffer over the long haul. For me, it will probably be something I do occasionally, but will eventually get a sport band for most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.