Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Dear friends,
I've bought Mydea app from the app store but it is extremely limited app and I am looking for better alternative.

Could you please share your thoughts about mind mapping soft for Mac? Any suggestions and explanations would be highly appreciated.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I use iThoughts on both my iPad and Mac. I don’t know what features you feel Mydea is lacking but iThoughts certainly has plenty, and can sync maps automatically between devices using iCloud which is a big plus for me personally.

Reactions: Baletin

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I use iThoughts on both my iPad and Mac. I don’t know what features you feel Mydea is lacking but iThoughts certainly has plenty, and can sync maps automatically between devices using iCloud which is a big plus for me personally.

thanks for your reply, is it possible to make multiple interconnections between the items in iThoughts?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Dear friends,
I've bought Mydea app from the app store but it is extremely limited app and I am looking for better alternative.

Could you please share your thoughts about mind mapping soft for Mac? Any suggestions and explanations would be highly appreciated.
I'm a big fan of SimpleMind. They offer versions for macOS, iOS, Android, and Windows (important to me because I need to have access to my mindmaps regardless of the device I have in front of me)

Is this what you mean by multiple interconnections? If so, SimpleMind can do it.
Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 7.16.50 AM.png

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I'm a big fan of SimpleMind. They offer versions for macOS, iOS, Android, and Windows (important to me because I need to have access to my mindmaps regardless of the device I have in front of me)

Is this what you mean by multiple interconnections? If so, SimpleMind can do it.
View attachment 812338
Thanks a lot! Looks promising. What happens if you put an item on the border of a canvas - will it expand automatically?

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Yes. As nodes are added near the edge of the canvas, the canvas automatically expands.
Thanks a lot!! Could you please spend a minute to read this review comparing SimpleMind to FreeMind?? They mentioned some lag issues... I am considering to buy an app thus trying to understand as much as I can before I buy

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
thanks for your reply, is it possible to make multiple interconnections between the items in iThoughts?
Yes, you can do that with different types of line. Here’s a simple example:
344BE338-932F-4580-81E4-47ADA79EB290.jpeg
What happens if you put an item on the border of a canvas - will it expand automatically?
For iThoughts, the canvas is functionally infinite - it just keeps expanding, there is no ‘edge’ in any practical sense.
comparing {snip} to FreeMind??
I use Freemind on my work PC (I primarily use iThoughts on my iPad and also on my personal Mac) and iThoughts is vastly superior in every way (but price, naturally). You can export from iThoughts to Freemind and import, too.

Last edited:

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Yes, you can do that with different types of line. Here’s a simple example:
View attachment 812351

For iThoughts, the canvas is functionally infinite - it just keeps expanding, there is no ‘edge’ in any practical sense.

I use Freemind on my work PC (I primarily use iThoughts on my iPad and also on my personal Mac) and iThoughts is vastly superior in every way (but price, naturally). You can export from iThoughts to Freemind and import, too.

Do they support the dark theme?

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
The latest versions do :)
I've bought SimpleMind meanwhile - looks ok, should learn it... All in all my feeling is that I will buy more advanced software in future and oops - there is no dark mode in SimpleMind :(
[doublepost=1545629621][/doublepost]
The latest versions do :)
I enabled dark mode in Simple Mind with help of this tutorial. Now SimpleMind looks right ))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.