Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I'm considering picking up an older Mac mini to hook up to my 30" Dell Ultrasharp monitor. The catch is that the Dell monitor only has one input - dual-link DVI. Most of the minis I've been shopping for have either HDMI or MiniDP/Thunderbolt connectors. Apple sells a mini-DP to dual-link DVI adapter for the eye-watering price of $99. Does anyone know of 3rd party alternatives that will do the job at a reasonable price?

Remember, single link DVI will not do the trick. The Dell will only work with single link DVI at 1280x800, not the full 2560x1600.

Reactions: Pow!

twalk

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2009
Yes, you're going to have to use the mDP connector. Unfortunately, you can't do an in-spec conversion from mDP -> dual-link DVI with a standard passive converter

This leaves 2 options:
1) Something like 5-10% of the monitors with dual-link DVI connectors out there have a chip that can be out-of-spec double clocked. There are a few passive mDP -> dual-link DVI adapters out there that actually cheat, ignore 1/2 the pins, and just double the clock speed on the DVI side. This likely won't work for you
2) Buy an active adapter. $99 is about a typical price for this

Reactions: Pow!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.