Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, definitely some nice shots. Next purchase is a macro lens. Obviously the 18-55 mm kit lens isn't cutting it for me and feels very limiting. Of course, I could always crop. :)

Question: I know that the "micro" designation of your 55 mm micro Nikkor lens means it takes macro shots and has a very short focusing distance, but if I bought a 50 mm f/1.8 lens, or 60 mm, but it doesn't have the "micro" designation in the description, can I still use it for macros, or will it not be as good? The 50 mm f/1.8 is so much cheaper than anything else, though. :eek:

Well, either way, I'll eventually get the 85 mm f/1.8, but it's not a designated macro lens either (I don't think), but the 105 mm f/2.8 lens is def. a macro lens.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
thanks for the comments shamus, and simie. :)

Abstract said:
Question: I know that the "micro" designation of your 55 mm micro Nikkor lens means it takes macro shots and has a very short focusing distance, but if I bought a 50 mm f/1.8 lens, or 60 mm, but it doesn't have the "micro" designation in the description, can I still use it for macros, or will it not be as good? The 50 mm f/1.8 is so much cheaper than anything else, though. :eek:

No. Must say 'micro'. They have a completely different focussing mechanism, and they are optimised for a flat field view and also to give their best performance at ratios less than 1:10, however having said that the old 55 micro nikkor is one of the sharpest lenses ever made at any ratio. Which is why a micro lens is better than a standard focal length fixed lens unless you need very wide apertures. I haven't used the new nikkor digital micros but they go down to 1:1 whereas they old AI only do 1:2 without an extension ring, which is usually enough. Plus you can pick up an old nikkor micro AI for about $100.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
dogbone said:
thanks for the comments shamus, and simie. :)

No. Must say 'micro'. They have a completely different focussing mechanism, and they are optimised for a flat field view and also to give their best performance at ratios less than 1:10, however having said that the old 55 micro nikkor is one of the sharpest lenses ever made at any ratio. Which is why a micro lens is better than a standard focal length fixed lens unless you need very wide apertures. I haven't used the new nikkor digital micros but they go down to 1:1 whereas they old AI only do 1:2 without an extension ring, which is usually enough. Plus you can pick up an old nikkor micro AI for about $100.

You are right, Nikon has used the "Micro" designation to denote their true macro lens range. Depending on who you talk to, "micro" or "macro" can start at 1/2 life size to life size (1:1). Micro can also be used to describe greater than 1:1. Yet many lenses describe themselves as "macro" at 1/4 life size.

Because of the FOV factor, it is possible to get better than 1:1 with the likes of the Nikon 60mm AF lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.