Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asherb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Hi y'all

I am going to purchase a New Mac Mini, use my smart TV as a screen and basically have this as an entertainment centre and a makeshift desktop if I need to do video editing etc.

I want to get a mini handheld keypad to use when i'm sat on my sofa to control it. I've seen some on Amazon, but not sure if they are IOS compatible or actually will work the way i want.

I can't be the only one who wants the Mac Mini for these reasons, so i was hoping a few people could recommend a decent one that definitely works with the Mac Mini.

Many Thanks

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Pretty much any Bluetooth keyboard or input device will work with iOS and macOS (it might be a typo above but the Mac Mini runs macOS). It's even possible to use PlayStation and XBox controllers now.

For example, I have an Apple TV. I hate the remote, especially when trying to input text, so I use a Belkin Bluetooth keyboard that I originally picked up to use with an iPad. I've also used a Magic Keyboard repurposed from an iMac with the Apple TV.

Asherb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Pretty much any Bluetooth keyboard or input device will work with iOS and macOS (it might be a typo above but the Mac Mini runs macOS). It's even possible to use PlayStation and XBox controllers now.

For example, I have an Apple TV. I hate the remote, especially when trying to input text, so I use a Belkin Bluetooth keyboard that I originally picked up to use with an iPad. I've also used a Magic Keyboard repurposed from an iMac with the Apple TV.
Yes I meant MacOS.

I want a handheld keyboard that ideally with a trackpad on it.

I'm just looking for someone to recommend one so I know it will work with the Mac Mini and have the correct functionality.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN

The device is recognized as a regular/basic USB keyboard and mouse. So, no battery charge level reporting and only basic one and two finger gestures. The included rechargeable battery is replaceable, the unit charges via micro USB.

In a quick test, a reliable connection stretched to ~16 ft (~4.85 meters) with the Mac mini behind a 32” curved monitor. As already mentioned, I also do not know what the battery level is at, which (of course) could impact performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.