Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Northern California
Konica Minolta Photo Imaging, Inc. ceased the camera business on March 31, 2006.
As of April 1st, 2006, Sony Corporation is providing customer service for Konica’s, Minolta’s, and Konica Minolta’s cameras (excluding single-use cameras) and camera-related products except for the binoculars.
For information about customer service, please click “Contact & Repairs”.
For support information, please click“Support”.

aaaaaaaaagggg! What the hell? Minolta was the only kind of camera I would buy. Now they have stopped. This really sucks. I wonder why they would do such a thing? There products have all ways been better then most other camera companies.

Merf

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
It's largely believed that Sony has taken over the dSLR technology from K-M and will reintroduce the Maxxum 5D and 7D. Plus, there is more of a chance now for a higher-end Maxxum 9D. When Sony enters a market, they enter it in every segment from beginner to intermediate to advanced.

As for film-based camera, I guess not many are going to lament that loss. (I have an X-700 that I'm not selling, but I'm not upgrading it with something else either.)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Merf said:
.................aaaaaaaaagggg! What the hell? Minolta was the only kind of camera I would buy. Now they have stopped. This really sucks. I wonder why they would do such a thing? There products have all ways been better then most other camera companies...................

Merf

not really new information. i used the past weeks to buy minolta stuff for cheap at ebay/best buy because they had clearance prices.

sony is supposed to use the minolta lens system on their dslr's to be released this summer. i'm looking forward to that.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
If I were sony I'd either drop or redesign the Minolta mount. Things might have changed, but last I checked Minolta lenses still focus via the camera body's little focusing motor. This is such an archaic idea, they should do away with it.

Fully electronic mount, maybe able to use the old lenses in manual focus mode. Release Zeiss lenses in the new mount. Hopefully with the equivalent of USM/HSM.

Drop CCD and go with CMOS, but I do love the camera body's integrated vibration reduction. Even if its proven not to be as effective and lens mounted systems.

So with this done there is no real reason other than nostalgia to keep the SLRs with the Minolta branding. Maybe just convert to Nikon (or canon if they can) mount. Converting all the Minolta lenses to that mount, and somehow putting a focusing motor in them.

Sony has their work cut out for them if they want to salvage their intellectual properties into a competing DSLR company.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
jared_kipe said:
If I were sony I'd either drop or redesign the Minolta mount. Things might have changed, but last I checked Minolta lenses still focus via the camera body's little focusing motor. This is such an archaic idea, they should do away with it.

Fully electronic mount, maybe able to use the old lenses in manual focus mode. Release Zeiss lenses in the new mount. Hopefully with the equivalent of USM/HSM.

Drop CCD and go with CMOS, but I do love the camera body's integrated vibration reduction. Even if its proven not to be as effective and lens mounted systems.

So with this done there is no real reason other than nostalgia to keep the SLRs with the Minolta branding. Maybe just convert to Nikon (or canon if they can) mount. Converting all the Minolta lenses to that mount, and somehow putting a focusing motor in them.

Sony has their work cut out for them if they want to salvage their intellectual properties into a competing DSLR company.

from what i've read sony want's to enter the low end dslr market. that would be consumers who don't want to spend extra money on lenses or do stuff manual. so my guess is they stick for the time being with the minolta mount.

i also thought they go with the larger 10 megapix cmos sensor from the start.

when they enter the high end market the game could be different. then they might have to change the lens mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.