Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seyoon_c09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Chesterfield, MO
For my first post here I thought I would share this. I got a new 27inch iMac 5K that was released during WWDC this last Monday, and have realized that Macs signatured boot up chime is missing like the new MacBook Pros. My mid 2015 15inch MacBook Pro still has the normal famous boot up sound upon power on. I suppose with new lines of Apple Macs Apple is slowly phasing out the startup chime, something that I will greatly miss from older Macs. like my 2014 MacBook Pro. Does anyone here know a way to perhaps turn this signature feature back on so my iMac plays the startup time again, perhaps through a terminal commands?
Also, let me know if this is also persistent with 21.5inch iMac models that just came out for 2017, as well as new updated MacBooks and even MacBook Airs.

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
I'm having the same lack of chime experience on my 2017 iMac as well. I could have swore I heard it on the first boot, but then every boot after that was silent.

Things I tried that didn't bring back the chime at boot:
  • Reset PRAM
  • Reset NVRAM
  • Entered the following in a terminal window: sudo nvram BootAudio=%01
I sure wish it was an easy option to enable/disable to boot chime.

seyoon_c09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Chesterfield, MO
I'm having the same lack of chime experience on my 2017 iMac as well. I could have swore I heard it on the first boot, but then every boot after that was silent.

Things I tried that didn't bring back the chime at boot:
  • Reset PRAM
  • Reset NVRAM
  • Entered the following in a terminal window: sudo nvram BootAudio=%01
I sure wish it was an easy option to enable/disable to boot chime.

Same here, I am aware of the Terminal command that I could use, but sure it was disabled even at a first boot. As with all Macs I owned when I got my 2017 iMac and pressed the glorious power button for the first time, I was anticipating for the power chime, and besides, this classic chime reminds me of this classic Apple Macs and the fact that the computer is booting normally, and with removal of the chime I thought at first I had some defective motherboard or something on my unit. After some digging on the internet I saw that all Macs manufactured after 2016 are not going to have the power chime, something that I will greatly miss. I don't think it's something that users should enable by default, it should be the classic thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.