Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turnipfarmer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Hey everyone

Just updated to big sur, wish I didn't bother.

My thunderbolt external Lacie drive is now not seen in finder however is still seen on the desktop mounted drives so still have access to the files.

Typically it's the hard drive that has all my photos on and is not seen by lightroom either.

I've tried disk utility to repair it and said it's all ok. Tried rebooting and disconnecting drive, no joy either.

It is formatted as Mac os extended so I'm wondering if it's this that's causing the issue. I'm currently moving the photos to another hard drive and will format it APFS instead. Only another 7 hrs to go before transfer finishes lol. Odd thing is other external hard drives I've got are working normally and are also Mac OS extended.

Has anyone else had this issue?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
SSD only for APFS. HFS+ otherwise.

What interface? Cable, port, drive model. I assume it has its own power. And, your Mac!

turnipfarmer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
SSD only for APFS. HFS+ otherwise.

What interface? Cable, port, drive model. I assume it has its own power. And, your Mac!
Ah ok.

It's a thunderbolt 1 drive using a TB1 to TB3 official Mac adaptor. Yes this hard drive has its own power and Mac I have is Mac mini 2018.

Oh drive model is 3tb Lacie thunderbolt 1 drive.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
LaCie firmware update us first guess. If you can buy a case and remove the hdd, might work.

I'm using Samsung T5 and T7 on Mini. Bus power, SSD, quiet. But tops out 2TB and get expensive when you go 4TB models from other vendors.

OWC www.macsales.com may have some alternative ideas.

turnipfarmer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
LaCie firmware update us first guess. If you can buy a case and remove the hdd, might work.

I'm using Samsung T5 and T7 on Mini. Bus power, SSD, quiet. But tops out 2TB and get expensive when you go 4TB models from other vendors.

OWC www.macsales.com may have some alternative ideas.
Ok I'll have a look for firmware update, this is a right pain.

Do you think it's worth reformatting anyway and see if that sorts it?

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Did you ever get this resolved? Tried different firmwares and versions of LaCie Raid Manager and still won't recognize.

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Ok I'll have a look for firmware update, this is a right pain.

Do you think it's worth reformatting anyway and see if that sorts it?
If you are emptying it anyway (transferring your files elsewhere) then yes, by all means erase and format even if it's just to HFS+ again. Then try copying a few files to it and see if they are readable.
You didn't mention what macOS you upgraded from?
This is important because there were formatting changes between iPhoto and "Photos".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.