Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LurkNoMore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2019
MetroWest
TL;DR:
Now that I’ve upgraded my Sierra cMP from GT120 to RX 580, I was so eager to “enable GPU Performance” in 2019 CC InDesign. Y'know, the same way I can "enable GPU Performance" in 2019 CC PhotoShop and Illustrator.

Alas... no.

Adobe requires an “HiDPI" monitor to be tethered to my cMP/RX 580.

The Ask:
Can I trick InDesign (via OS X) into thinking my 30” 2560x1600 Apple Cinema HD Display is an HiDPI monitor?

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 12.45.17 AM.png upload_2019-4-8_0-26-54.png upload_2019-4-8_0-27-53.png

The Hopes:
MacRumors user & busy tweetster "dosdude1" seems to think this is a doable thing. https://twitter.com/dosdude1/status/932758434335903744
And then there's this guy:https://www.djbender.com/cinema-display-retina-hidpi-mode
There's been related chatter in these fora, but with no resolution.

I’m hoping others will chime in with magic potions/incantations to crack this. Or I just may pull the Adobe plug and go all Affinity Publisher (free beta download available now). I see a SwitchResX purchase in my future.

Please forgive if this has been specifically asked/answered (dosdude1), but I've searched a lot and would like the most straightforward, handheld, newbie path possible... or a shove in the exact direction.

New GPU Update:
As expected, my new Pulse RX 580 shows up as "AMD R9 xxx 8192 MB graphics” under Sierra. In High Sierra, I get the fully monty: AMD Radeon RX 580. Haven’t upgraded to Mojave yet. And won’t ’til I get this display issue squared away.

Assumptions:
GPU ENGINES: If I understand correctly, the Open CL/GL requirements listed in the above Apple doc referenced by Adobe are resident inside my RX 580, not inside my "Mac Pro." In other words, if Sierra/HS/Mojave can make use of the firmware/framework of the GPU, then that's all that matters.

upload_2019-4-8_0-28-10.png

DISPLAYS:
While the monitor is surely the payoff to the eye, it is actually the GPU that determines the ability of the monitor to do its job. So, in some measure, the monitor is the most primitive part of the InDesign/CPU/GPU/Monitor matrix. It's basically a buncha lightbulbs synced to go on an off, no? Thus, Adobe is just plain jerky, pulling this HiDPI requirement out of its a**.

Rant:
InDesign 2019 is a lot slower than my most recent version of CS4. Yes, I recently jumped from a cMP 2,1 / 10.6.8 to my below rig. It’s actually pathetic: scrolling around my ID documents causes my placed artwork to emulate Atari 8-bit graphics. Except slower. Apparently, it’s a thing, this buggy ID and the lack of support for less-than-HiDPI resolutions.

A sign of Adobe's corrupted, crumbling Caligularian empire is the copywriting on their website. https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/gpu_performance.html
Sad. The command line musta been: "load: cheesy copywriting AI. execute: pathetic double-talk."

Thanks!

Background: 2009 4,1—>5,1 / 2x2.26GHZ 5520 / 48GB Reg ECC 1366 / 10.12.6. / 30” Apple Cinema Display / NEW Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB(!) / and, sadly, Adobe CC 2019 with InDesign 14.0.1.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
TL;DR:
Now that I’ve upgraded my Sierra cMP from GT120 to RX 580, I expected to be able to “enable GPU Performance” in 2019 CC InDesign. Y'know, the same way I can enable GPU Performance in my 2019 PhotoShop and Illustrator.
Alas. No.
Adobe requires an “HiDPI" monitor to be tethered to my cMP/RX 580.

As mentioned in direct messages:

----

With non HiDPI monitor there is no need to enable GPU for InDesign. It's literally just accelerating PARTS of the UI for larger resolution requirements. There is no effect or layer processing happening that is GPU accelerated. The GPU "does more" with AI, PS, AE, etc. You're going to see more of a tax on the CPU with tons of fonts and the way fonts are handled through TypeKit/Adobe Fonts. GPU will do nothing for that, but across the board it's an issue with Adobe CC 2019.

Will say I've had bad luck modifying the available resolutions with 30" ACD with any plugins or hacks in client offices in the past. The monitor just doesn't handle them well, which is why they are not supported natively. If you can deal with artifacts and some slow/strange drawing, I guess it's fine. Personally do not find the tradeoff worth it.

My suggestion:
If you NEED HiDPI, get a new monitor.
If you just want to enable in InDesign, don't bother with the hassle.

----

InDesign is not built/written the same as PS/AI/AE/PP, etc. My understanding is it's more of a port of the PC/Windows version than any other Adobe app. Maybe that's changed in CC 2019. It still does not support Metal and until it does, it will not be macOS optimized. Likely need to wait for CC 2020+ for that to happen.

I'm not using InDesign a ton, but it has two requirements for GPU performance enhancements: HiDPI AND compatible GPU. Your GPU Performance tab will show everything you need to know.

You're also relying way too much on random quotes and using a machine that is 8+ years old and not even running the latest macOS version. Your GPU is unsupported in Mojave. Check Adobe's own system requirements, they've all changed for CC 2019 products and they clearly made that known through their installer. Adobe is recommending the latest macOS (Mojave) for all CC 2019 products across the board. Many individual product requirement pages have not been updated to reflect this (yet).

InDesign CC 2019 requirements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

It literally says "Mac Pro connected to a HiDPI monitor"

You can either abide by their requirements, use an older version, or upgrade to meet their requirements. Anything outside of that is unsupported.

The non-HiDPI monitor with Mac Pro not enabling GPU Performance is EXPECTED BEHAVIOR.

----

If you're a paying customer, ask them to support MP5,1 with RX580 and non-HiDPI monitor in Mojave with CC 2019:
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Asking for them to support NVIDIA GPU in Mojave is useless.

There is no question the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB is compatible with Mojave and is a Metal GPU. This is widely reported and widely known. It is Apple's own recommended GPU for Mojave in MP5,1. I am one of many using it with Adobe products.

You are reporting a GTX 970 in screenshots. That is NOT compatible with Mojave.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.