Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gonglosaur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2019
For a while now (maybe the past several weeks?), I have been having trouble with scrolling on the site. It jitters sometimes as I scroll up or down. I’ve attached a video that shows what I’m talking about, in which the jitter is actually not that strong, but sometimes it’s really quite bad. I’m using Brave on iOS 14 (and have been for a long time with no problems until recently).

Is anybody else experiencing this?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Never tried the browser Brave. But, have you tried clearing the cache for that browser?
Also, curious, does it jitter/stutter in any other browser?

gonglosaur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2019
There doesn’t appear to be a way to clear the cache. Just tried the site in Safari: no issues. Seems to be either a bug in the way Brave renders the site or possibly in the code that the site is sending to Brave, I suppose.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
It’s the “Show Full Article” Article Preview Box which keeps dynamically changing its height on non-Safari browsers and interrupts the scrolling smoothness by site scroll bounces and jitter. Same here with MS Edge for iOS. A MR site bug for sure, and gets worse when you get closer to the bottom of the site. Probably due to many article preview boxes changing its height and interfering the overall scrolling distance.

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
There doesn’t appear to be a way to clear the cache. Just tried the site in Safari: no issues. Seems to be either a bug in the way Brave renders the site or possibly in the code that the site is sending to Brave, I suppose.
Go into your iphone settings and look for Brave down at the bottom. There could be a way to clear the cache in there. This is just speculation because I don't use Brave on a mobile device.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
On ios 14.7 two different stories:

- Safari....smooth as silk

- Edge...smooth as silk until an article is opened. It's very smooth whilst going in one direction....try to change direction rapidly and it's judder galore.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It’s the “Show Full Article” Article Preview Box which keeps dynamically changing its height on non-Safari browsers and interrupts the scrolling smoothness by site scroll bounces and jitter. Same here with MS Edge for iOS. A MR site bug for sure, and gets worse when you get closer to the bottom of the site. Probably due to many article preview boxes changing its height and interfering the overall scrolling distance.

View attachment 1805849

This is a side effect of a recent change we made.

We are scaling the "Read More" crop using a percentage of the viewport. In non-Safari browsers, it seems the viewport height changes depending on which direction your scroll.

Originally we had it set at a specific number, but this caused other problems.

I can see if I can come up with a better solution.

Reactions: Wildkraut

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
This is a side effect of a recent change we made.

We are scaling the "Read More" crop using a percentage of the viewport. In non-Safari browsers, it seems the viewport height changes depending on which direction your scroll.

Originally we had it set at a specific number, but this caused other problems.

I can see if I can come up with a better solution.
Yeah it’s probably the browsers navigation bar that changes the viewport height when it comes and goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.