Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flgto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Hey everybody. I was hoping I could ask a possiubly stupid question but hopefully get some serious responses.

I watch the show Modern Marvels and I was wondering if anyone knows how they make the two dimensional old time photos look 3-d? Usually they do it with a person in the photo, and it looks like the person has been brought forward. I don't know if I am explaining that correctly, but those that watch the show probably know what I am talking about.

Does anyone know how to do this technique. Thanks for your time!

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Hey everybody. I was hoping I could ask a possiubly stupid question but hopefully get some serious responses.

I watch the show Modern Marvels and I was wondering if anyone knows how they make the two dimensional old time photos look 3-d? Usually they do it with a person in the photo, and it looks like the person has been brought forward. I don't know if I am explaining that correctly, but those that watch the show probably know what I am talking about.

Does anyone know how to do this technique. Thanks for your time!

I have not seen exactly the show, but I know in the movie Riding Giants they did that stuff. And I remember the director Stacey Peralta talking about how they came up with the technique and software to do it and had patented it. Not sure it is exactly the same, but about 15-20 seconds into the trailer, when the guy is riding down the wave and the years are going backwards, the end of that is a photo like what you are talking about.
Also, near the end they do it as well.

I looked around and found that it looks like you can do it with After Affects and here is another article that looks like it might help explain it

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
they do it with after effects, you basically take your picture, clone tool the area behind what you want to move, and separate it all into separate layers. Lynda.com has a training video over this same thing, it's not a patented thing or anything, it's pretty easy to do if you have the software skills...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Don't need after effects. If you take an image in photoshop and extract them out of the background your done. Place the original image and the .psd file with transparency in FCP or Avid and there you go.

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, Photoshop layers

Import into layers I believe 3D layering is required to add the depth, then pan the camera to exploit the layer depth.

flgto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Haven't had a chance to get back on the board. Anyway, thanks for everyone who took the time to reply. Great board!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.