Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisjames03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
hi
i want to be able to import photos, delete and modify (ie rotate, rename) the original copies of photos as appropriate and upload the original photos to flickr (using the uploadr).
the major problem i have with iphoto is that you cannot work with the originals. and preview wont let me rename the files.
could anyone recommend an application that will allow me to achieve these simple tasks easily.
thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hi
i want to be able to import photos, delete and modify (ie rotate, rename) the original copies of photos

Then use Image Capture rather than iPhoto. You can set Image Capture to be the application that launches when you connect a camera. the default is iPhoto. Change it in preferences. Image capture will put the image files in a folder where you can rename then using the finder.

I use Image capture to load the files from the camera. I delete any that are really bad, then make a backup copy of the folder to a CD. Next I import the folder to iPhoto where I can do some small adjustments. Some of them get more work in Photoshop.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
You can also turn off the 'auto import' types of stuff and just mount the Flash card. From there, manually drag/drop them into whatever directory on your HD that you want.

You can then do basic previews in the Finder and delete originals from there. You can do bulk renaming can be done with Adobe Bridge (or equivalent freeware utilities).

For rotating files, if nothing else, there's probably a free plug-in for Photoshop.

-hh

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
Use Image Capture instead of iPhoto to import your photos. Use the Finder to rename files. Use Preview to rotate the photos.

Not sure why you would want to upload fill resolution photos though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.