Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryW

macrumors member
Original poster
Hi all,

Does anybody have any experience with the Modo tripods?
I like the fact that they can fold up really small, and can fit in my backpack. My only concern is that it seems a bit unstable.

Your feedback is appreciated

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Depends on what camera you're trying to support. The max weight for one of these is 2.2 lbs. Given that my 24-70 L is about 2.1 pounds, it wouldn't be something that I would use. If you're looking for portability, coupled with good support, look at some monopods... unless you're looking for a tripod to support a P&S.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Get one of the 7-series Manfrotto Tripods. I don't know the models, but they're something like Manfrotto 714 or 718. They don't carry a lot of weight, but can handle around 2.5 kg (up to a maximum of around 3.5 kg to 4 kg), which is more than enough to hold a 600-800 g camera + even a 1.5 kg 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens. Barely. ;) With lenses smaller than this, the 7XY tripods are good enough. If you owned a 70-200 mm, you'd probably want a better tripod anyway. For small and mid-sized lenses, these tripods can handle it. They're also lighter, less bulky, and cheaper in price.

techgeek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2004
UK
I use a modo for my Canon 20D with no problems.
They are a lot more stable than they look.
However, I wouldn't put a big lens on there. It's fine with my EFS 17-85 IS though.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Does anybody have any experience with the Modo tripods?
I like the fact that they can fold up really small, and can fit in my backpack. My only concern is that it seems a bit unstable.

You can make any tripod more stable by filling a bag with rocks and hanging it under the tripod. It really glues the legs to the ground and lowers the overall center of gravity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.