Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Safari has become unusable, 95% of the time it fails to connect to the internet. Firefox is working fine - it connects with no issues. Other apps also are having connection issues, the most notable being Feedback Assistant (!). Another is Adobe Photoshop. It connects just fine - but the Creative Cloud updater will not.

Apple doesn't seem to have a discussion board for macOS Mojave beta, so I am posting this here in the dim hope that someone at Apple will read it.

Has anyone else had these connection issues?

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I have had some major issues with Safari. It freezes and bugs out. Especially when trying to visit apple.com ironically enough. It just won't load anything for apple.com, just try to load.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

Apple doesn't seem to have a discussion board for macOS Mojave beta, so I am posting this here in the dim hope that someone at Apple will read it.

Has anyone else had these connection issues?
Mojave is a beta --- software in testing. If you want to report some issue to Apple, you should report that through the Feedback Assistant.
You can also send feedback in the Help menu for any macOS apps.
If you still struggle with connection issues on some apps, maybe other apps will work well enough to do that reporting.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
What I am lately observing is that for no reason, I am logged out of MR and other sites like Amazon and I have to sign in again. It might be noted that I have 2FA activated and perhaps there is a bug, because specifically on MR it says it can go without re-auth for 30 days, but some times it does not even go 3 hours. Bliss of beta software! :D

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What I am lately observing is that for no reason, I am logged out of MR and other sites like Amazon and I have to sign in again. It might be noted that I have 2FA activated and perhaps there is a bug, because specifically on MR it says it can go without re-auth for 30 days, but some times it does not even go 3 hours. Bliss of beta software! :D
Found this on some other Mojave thread.
You can get that "logged out" in Safari to work again. Safari Preferences, then Privacy. Turn off "Prevent Cross-site tracking".
Hopefully, Apple will get this patched up in coming Mojave builds.
[doublepost=1530124094][/doublepost]
It would probably be a good idea to read a post thoroughly before commenting.
Yes, I saw that the reporting assistant did not seem to work for you. I was just saying that there are other paths for that reporting. This forum is not one of those, and you should not have any expectations that Apple would see your report here.

Reactions: macintoshmac

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Yes, I saw that the reporting assistant did not seem to work for you. I was just saying that there are other paths for that reporting. This forum is not one of those, and you should not have any expectations that Apple would see your report here.

Well, I didn't think it would hurt if I posted here. Sorry if I offended you. You did say to use FA after I already said it didn't work. Hence the "dim hope" comment. Again, please read the posts thoroughly before commenting.
[doublepost=1530126671][/doublepost]Here is the actual error:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 11.54.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 11.54.13 AM.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 218

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, but I am not offended that easily... People do come here to learn (and sometimes I learn something, too. :cool: )
Looking back a version or two, looks like there had been early connection weirdness when High Sierra was in beta, too. And, the same kind of error generated from the Feedback assistant at that time. There was thought that the problem might have been helped at that point by changing DNS server settings. 8.8.8.8 seemed to fix, at least last year. Might be worth a trial, but I don't see any indication that anyone else has tried that as a possibility this beta.

I have learned that Safari in (early) Mojave has issues. Some of those Safari issues appear to be network-related, as you have testified. I don't like turning off security settings in a web browser, but that does help logins work over relaunches. Hopefully that will improve soon, maybe the next beta update will address those Safari issues.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
I solved the issue and another that had cropped up as well. In addition to the connectivity issue, kernel_task had been running for six hours straight at over 500% (via what was displayed in iStat Menus). My MBP had become so boggy and borderline unresponsive that it was unusable. I did notice that in addition to kernel_task, there were two other processes that would always run with high CPU usage as well - spindump and tailspind. I found some instructions online (here) and was able to permanently disable those two processes. Once I did that, kernel_task went below 10% CPU usage, and connectivity was nice and speedy again.

So far it has not affected the Mojave beta 1 yet, and I have been able to submit feedback using the Feedback Assistant with no lag at all. I still have some issues with Safari becoming laggy at times, but restarting the browser seems to provide a temporary fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

Crash_SLC

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2018
I've also had some issues and can't find any forums that are discussing issues with the current beta release. I'm running a MacMini 2014 and when it restarts after the upgrade none of my peripherals work. ie. Keyboard, regular mouse, bluetooth trackpad, etc.

ihackalot

macrumors member
May 23, 2017
Italy
Having the same issue here, which is very irritating. I found out though, that if you can work around the issue by connecting through an external service like a VPN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.