Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnAtl1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Earth
Bought DiskWarrior.
In the process of attempting to create a bootable drive to recover my TimeMachine backup, I ran the DiskWarrior Recovery Maker, but the dropdown to select a Source macOS Recovery Disk is grayed out. I downloaded Mojave and made a bootable USB, but it is not recognized by the DW Recovery Maker.

Anyone know how to work around this?

2015 rMBP, 16GB, 512GB, APFS
External TM backup, WD MyBook, 4TB, HPFS+

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
In order to run the DiskWarrior Recovery Maker you need a USB flash drive, a installed DiskWarrior app that has been installed/registered on the internal drive, and a macOS Recovery Disk created on a hard drive when Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion) or newer, is installed onto a computer.

When a DiskWarrior bootable USB drive is created, it will allow you to boot from the DiskWarrior USB thumb drive and run DiskWarrior to repair your directory. It will not allow you access to your TM files directly while booted from the USB drive.

What is the problem that you are trying to fix?
Can you boot from your internal drive and does it have Mojave installed?
Can you boot into Recovery (Cmd+r at startup)?

JohnAtl1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Earth
?..and a macOS Recovery Disk created on a hard drive when Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion) or newer, is installed onto a computer.

This is the part I don’t understand. I have a recovery partition that I can boot from, but that’s it. I have no separate disk, nor an image, etc. that was created when I installed Mojave.

?What is the problem that you are trying to fix?
Can you boot from your internal drive and does it have Mojave installed?
Can you boot into Recovery (Cmd+r at startup)?

Internal drive is fine, and I can boot from the recovery partition.

I have two TimeMachine backup disks that TimeMachine will not back up to. Disk Utility's First Aid will not repair them.

Since DiskWarrior 4 saved me in the past, I upgraded to 5 in the hope of fixing this. The usb stick they mailed is on the way, but I would like to fix this this weekend.

Thanks for the reply.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
It sounds like you have a working Mojave installation, an upgraded DiskWarrior 5 installed/registered and you want to use DiskWarrior 5 to repair the directories of your Time Machine drives. Am I correct?

Have you tried booting from your DiskWarrior 4 USB thumb drive to check your TM drives?

JohnAtl1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Earth
I connected my Carbon Copy Cloner backup drive and DWRM recognized it as a Source macOS Recovery Disk. It’s working on creating a thumb drive now.
Thanks for the replies, looks like I am in business.
[doublepost=1540044558][/doublepost]Based on your profile pic, you might like this (very bizarre) movie.
https://g.co/kgs/LsRax4

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.