Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rfinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
New to MacRumors so let me know if there's a better way to ask this question...

I have hundreds of rules and I need a way to export them to a list. I really can't believe there's not a search option, and I can't even drag the screen beyond 20 lines per window for a screen shot (with hopes of converting to text). I remember being able to select all and then copy it to a text editor - even that was ridiculous - but can't do that anymore. Mac Mail user for 20 years so I have been through its ups and downs, but the lack of a search or export option surprises me.

Any suggestions?

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
New to MacRumors so let me know if there's a better way to ask this question...

I have hundreds of rules and I need a way to export them to a list. I really can't believe there's not a search option, and I can't even drag the screen beyond 20 lines per window for a screen shot (with hopes of converting to text). I remember being able to select all and then copy it to a text editor - even that was ridiculous - but can't do that anymore. Mac Mail user for 20 years so I have been through its ups and downs, but the lack of a search or export option surprises me.

Any suggestions?

Google search on: "mail.app rules preferences location" and it shows, that Rules are here:

~/Library/Mail/V6/MailData/SyncedRules.plist
(alternatively may be here: ~/Library/Mail/V6/MailData/UnsyncedRules.plist)

Now, this is xml list with all its "beauty" for computers and less clarity for humans. But all the rules are there and it is text file, so any text editor can read it. If you are good in programing, you may be can whip out code which would parse this into useful table. Not sure if there is easy way to translate this into human/tabular form, but if we consult Mr Google, it gives lots of options when asked "translate xml into table". Not sure which one would suite your needs.

rfinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
Google search on: "mail.app rules preferences location" and it shows, that Rules are here:

Now, this is xml list with all its "beauty" for computers and less clarity for humans. But all the rules are there and it is text file, so any text editor can read it. If you are good in programing, you may be can whip out code which would parse this into useful table. Not sure if there is easy way to translate this into human/tabular form, but if we consult Mr Google, it gives lots of options when asked "translate xml into table". Not sure which one would suite your needs.
[doublepost=1567017241][/doublepost]

Many thanks! This is helpful. I am sure I can parse this with a script...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.