Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xSinghx

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
So this week the power brick to my 30" Apple Cinema display decided to stop working. It's overheating and I hear a clicking coming from it while my monitor no longer turns on. I've looked for replacements but they're all but impossible to find (new that is). I've come across these Chinese knock-offs on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-A1098...0W-for-30-DVI-Cinema-HD-Display-/271037716125 or otherwise have the option of paying for a used one. Given the age of a used brick and the questionable quality of Chinese counterfeits I started looking around craigslist and have seen some cheap thunderbolt displays. The problem is that with my upgraded 5870 I'm unsure whether the mini display port works with the thunderbolt display (I've gotten some conflicting statements). If they're compatible this might be an economical solution until announcements are made this year.

Ultimately I'm waiting to see what 7,1 brings the mac pro in which case hopefully a display may appear along side it, so investing in a totally new monitor might be premature. At the same time I obviously can't wait until Oct. to make a decision either.

Suggestions?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'm unsure whether the mini display port works with the thunderbolt display (I've gotten some conflicting statements).

The Thunderbolt display will definitely not work on your Mac Pro, or any "Classic" Mac Pro. Although the connector looks the same, it isn't.

If you want a used Apple display, there's the 2010 27" LED Cinema Display for your consideration - it looks virtually identical to the Thunderbolt display, pretty sure it uses the same 2560x1440 panel, but connects via MiniDisplayPort and USB. It lacks the Ethernet, Thunderbolt and Firewire connectors of the TB display, but does have a USB hub, webcam, microphone and a half-decent (for a display) speaker system. Apple stopped making them when the TB display came out (but they stayed on sale for a while) so any unit you get will be a few years older than a TB display (although who knows when Apple physically stopped making the TB display?)

Personally, though, I'd get a third party display unless you're desperate for that Apple look.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
The 30-inch Cinema was groundbreaking, and breathtaking at the time. Now, lots of nice displays are available. Apple, in their "we're discontinuing the TB display" announcement, said as much. Not only are nice displays available, but for different uses. Here at work many love a 40-inch Seiki display. Others (like me) are very happy with Dell 2715Q. Samsung, LG and others make extra wide, or extra gamut, or extra something. Something for everybody, at pretty good prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.