Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Ok. I have a Macbook that is running the Adobe 1998 color profile. I also have an Envision 19'' external monitor I use as my main monitor. I'd like to get the same color calibration on both monitors so when I drag a photo across both screens, it looks the same. I'm not ready to buy a calibration kit and am wondering how I can achieve the relatively same colors on both displays.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Ok. I have a Macbook that is running the Adobe 1998 color profile. I also have an Envision 19'' external monitor I use as my main monitor. I'd like to get the same color calibration on both monitors so when I drag a photo across both screens, it looks the same. I'm not ready to buy a calibration kit and am wondering how I can achieve the relatively same colors on both displays.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

OK I'm not a professional by any means, so some other people could have better advice here, but this is how I do handle this.

First on your 19inch monitor itself, set the color features for SRGB if it has that setting (doubtful) or set the color temperature to 6500K. Then turn the contrast all the way up to 100% and the brightness too.

Then on the Mac, go to the "System Preferences" -> Displays. The Dialog box will come up on both monitors. On your 19inch external, click on the "Color" tab and click on the "calibrate" button. When the calibration menu comes up, check the "expert mod" check box and proceed. Follow the instructions. When you get to the "is this the right shade of gray" sections let your eyes blur by squinting or by looking at the object from far away ( that takes alot more time but is more accurate ) This really helps if you have another person maning the sliders for you..

Anyway... once you've got it calibrated, save it as something descriptive and then do the same thing for your lcd. Theoretically you shouldn't need to calibrate the notebook screen, but don't trust that, especially since you're currently running a specific color profile. This is a very analog process. If you, yourself don't have good color perception, have someone else calibrate it for you. ( Google for color blindness tests )

A couple of color chart checks to perform after you've calibrated can be found here:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm

Keep in mind if you do the gamma test that your tube monitor will have much better color fidelity than your lcd, so you may have banding etc.

Hopefully thi will help!

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Do yourself a favor and invest $65+ in a color calibration utility. (I have read your post, yes!) I've bought a ColorSpyder 2 for $65 (!) on amazon and this makes a tremendous difference.

Don't bother trying to calibrate it by hand, you can't.

(Even though the entry-level software does not allow for calibration of multiple monitors, you can easily circumvent this restriction by copying the profile and restarting the calibration procedure.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.