Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willie45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Hi

I want to calibrate my monitor with a Spyder2 colorimeter and software. I need to determine whether the "brightness" control on the monitor is actually brightness or really a backlight control. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Willie

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
As a side note having balanced quite a few screens I recommend doing the following if you are able to even if it does seem a little extreme;

1. Enable grey balance calibration in the advanced tab of the Spyder software preferences.

2. Calibrate in complete darkness, no lights and curtains drawn, do it at night if that is easier. I have found that any strong light can make a small but noticeable difference to the calculations.

3. An obvious one but I still forget make sure automatic screen dimming and sleep timers (screen savers as well) are disabled or you'll just have to repeat the process.

Initially you may feel the calibrated result looks wrong but if you just stare at the screen for a few seconds you will be amazed how the human eye adjusts to even the smallest tonal differences. Give it a day or so to trly settle in and you'll be off.

Hope that helps :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
3. An obvious one but I still forget make sure automatic screen dimming and sleep timers (screen savers as well) are disabled or you'll just have to repeat the process.

The first time I calibrated my screen, I turned off the screensaver - but I forgot about the dimming. Of course, the screen dimmed about 80% of the way through... :rolleyes:

Now, when I do it, I bump the mouse every few minutes (making sure the cursor is over by the side of the screen of course).

I'm not sure why the screen dims after a while, since I have that unchecked in my System Preferences. But oh well... I'm used to it now.

willie45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Thanks again folks for the useful information. I did as you suggested and all seems well. Initially the screen looked a bit pink but I now believe that to be more accurate than previously

Willie :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.