Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I bought a factory-refurbished M1 Mac Mini from Apple a few months ago. I did not have the money to buy a new monitor to go with it, but I eventually plan to build up enough money to buy a new 27-inch or 32-inch 4K or 5K monitor for my Mini. For now, I am using a very old Acer AL1716W color monitor (about 15 years old) to get by. For the time being, the Mini is still not my primary machine.

If I go ahead and buy a new monitor in the future, I want to mount it on a VESA / Monitor Arm. I watched a couple of Behind the Office Door videos on YouTube, one about general considerations when considering the purchase of monitor arms, and another video that compares different-branded monitor arms for sale on Amazon. I learned a great deal about what I would be getting into if I went ahead and tried purchasing one of these arms. Still, I have questions:

1: I am currently using one of those 8-foot-long social hall tables (with the faux wood top and the fold-up metal legs) as my desktop. I want to mount the monitor on a monitor arm for easier adjustment (and to keep my table-top space free). Problem: this kind of portable dining table includes a full-perimeter metal frame permanently mounted on the underside of the table-top, uniformly located about 1/2-inch in from the outer rim of the table top. I see that these monitor arm mechanisms use attachment mechanisms to structurally connect the arm to the table. How can I be sure a given monitor arm's attachment mount will fit on the edge of my table? The metal frame rail (actually a shallow C-channel with the indentation of the "C" facing in-board) is about 2 inches tall and about 1/4-inch deep.

2: If the mount fits on the outer rim, that's great. If it doesn't fit, is it possible to fit the mount around the frame rail so the mount attaches to the underside of the tabletop, inside the rail?

3: In understand that some of these monitor arms are "grommet mount". This means they assume your desktop/table top offers a hole in the middle of the desk/table to send cords up through. I assume this tabletop is actually particle-board. Am I insane to think that I could drill a grommet hole through the table and create me own grommet, and that it would work and not ruin the table?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
1) See if you can find any directions or specs for the mount. Sometimes they’ll have the dimensions of everything. Otherwise, buy from a place that has a good return policy so you can return it if needed.

2) I wouldn’t try to mount it on the outer rim of the table. The 1/2” rim wouldn’t be strong enough, especially if it is particle board. Look for one that has a c-clamp that could go around the rail, or put blocks of wood on both sides of the rail to clamp to instead (i.e. blocks of wood that are 2-1/4” tall so that the rail isn’t an obstruction anymore).

3) I think this would be fine as long as the base and clamp are wide enough. Also, you don’t necessarily have to drill a grommet hole. You just need a hole large enough for the bolt to pass through if you don’t mind running the cables behind the table/desk. It could be something like a 3/8” drill hole instead of a 3” grommet hole. The smaller the hole, the stronger it’ll be.

Reactions: Wingsley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.