Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
i was thinking of getting a monopod for my upcoming trip to DC...

Flashpoint F-2560 Carbon Fiber Monopod, 4 Section Leg, Supports 11.0 lbs., Maximum Height 55".,,

does this (or most) monopods attach directly to the camera (i have 40D canon),, or is there a "head" that i have to get... or is that just an option?

also, to connect the camera, is there a "quick release" lever for it... or would that be the advantage of a "head"

thanks for your help in advance... :eek:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
You need a head. A monopod, just like a tripod, is designed to have a head mounted on it.

I suppose that, technically speaking, you could get away with not using one - the typical head mount screw is (I think) the same thread as the plate mounting screw on the bottom of your camera. But putting the camera on said screw would be a pain in the neck, and you wouldn't have any flexibility with regards to orienting the camera.

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
You need a head. A monopod, just like a tripod, is designed to have a head mounted on it.

I suppose that, technically speaking, you could get away with not using one - the typical head mount screw is (I think) the same thread as the plate mounting screw on the bottom of your camera. But putting the camera on said screw would be a pain in the neck, and you wouldn't have any flexibility with regards to orienting the camera.

so what kind of head is best? suggestions? smaller is better right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.